Fifteen years on this forum

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Shave4Fun

Fifteen years on this forum

Post by Shave4Fun »

I joined SMF on August 24, 2007. Fifteen years ago.
I have learned a lot, and seen a good number of members come and go, but am still here.
I just want to say thanks to all who contribute for us to have a better shaving experience!
I am so stocked up on supplies, I seriously doubt that I should ever need to buy anything else for the rest of my life unless it is witch hazel or some other A/S product. 8)
Ciao
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
CMur12

Re: Fifteen years on this forum

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations on your fifteen years, Roger!

Yes, I now too have a veritable hoard of shaving equipment and expendables. Way more than I will exhaust during my remaining years.

- Murray
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

CMur12 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:08 pm Congratulations on your fifteen years, Roger!

Yes, I now too have a veritable hoard of shaving equipment and expendables. Way more than I will exhaust during my remaining years.

- Murray
Thanks!
Roger

woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I'm right behind you, Roger - I joined in December 2007 while laid up with a broken ankle. Like you, I've learning a lot and enjoyed many new acquaintances. The tribal knowledge of some of our long standing members (many of whom, sadly, have not checked in for many years) is incredible. I am guilty of periodic hiatuses as well, but I'll try to be better going forward. I hope we can stimulate more interest and discussion on SMF.
Lynn
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

woodsrider wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:05 pm I'm right behind you, Roger - I joined in December 2007 while laid up with a broken ankle. Like you, I've learning a lot and enjoyed many new acquaintances. The tribal knowledge of some of our long standing members (many of whom, sadly, have not checked in for many years) is incredible. I am guilty of periodic hiatuses as well, but I'll try to be better going forward. I hope we can stimulate more interest and discussion on SMF.
Early congratulations, Lynn!
Roger

blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I also joined this forum in 2007. Although I hardly ever post, I enjoy the tone and culture on SMF. Lots of good information. Not too much one_upping with the latest and greatest, biggest, densest… whatever it might be. It’s been disappointing to see the posting taper off to almost nothing. Maybe, like me, the other members have already said just abut all there is to say. I’m perfectly happy with my rotation of hardware/software so not particularly interested in making any acquisitions - although it does happen. Overall a great forum.
Rick
Nate

Post by Nate »

I know I’m resurrecting an old thread here but unfortunately that seems by and large like the only option given the slow nature of the forum the past few years. I’ve been lurking and reading (Tim’s “Rolling your own” is going to get me to start making soap… eventually) but I should have participated more actively. The truth is, most of the learning happens early on and after a while one can “stand on their own two feet” and after reading so much from all the knowledgeable members here, eventually theory meets practice and you have to learn for yourself.

All this to say that 2024 will mark my 15th year on here and I’m so happy that this was the forum I could call home. What I lacked in posting I made up for in reading and absorbing the vast amount of wisdom this forum had to offer.

So much has changed with our hobby in the past 15 years that it is truly astounding- and I would argue most of it has been for the better.

Anyway, I soon plan on starting my own proper thread discussing the current state of my affairs as it were, and hopefully that will offer some perspective of my evolution as a wetshaver over the past decade and a half. Now I just have to write the thing!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome back, Nate!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thank you Chris it’s good to be back!

If memory serves you also dipped your toe into the “Rolling your own”, are you still making your own soap? If so how are you ever going to put a dent in that huge Tabac collection I recall seeing a picture of? :lol:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good to have you back, Nate!

I look forward to seeing your thread.

- Murray
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Howdy, Nate - good to see you back!
Lynn
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's good to see you again Nate! I also hit my 15th year a few months back.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nate

Post by Nate »

Murray, Lynn, and Gary! Great to see some familiar faces! I hope all is well with you guys, shaving and otherwise.

The Feather Artist Club format has really been a game changer for you eh Gary?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Nate wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:14 am Thank you Chris it’s good to be back!

If memory serves you also dipped your toe into the “Rolling your own”, are you still making your own soap? If so how are you ever going to put a dent in that huge Tabac collection I recall seeing a picture of? :lol:
I still have a large amount of it, which is just as well as my big jam pan is in a box in the attic somewhere. The biggest problem with that is that I shall soon run out of marmalade, and I don't like to imagine life without real marmalade!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nate wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:08 am Murray, Lynn, and Gary! Great to see some familiar faces! I hope all is well with you guys, shaving and otherwise.

The Feather Artist Club format has really been a game changer for you eh Gary?
Yep! 8) Took a while, and they just work for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444