What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Rufus

Re: What's for supper?

Post by Rufus »

Hoppin’ John, as per Dr Chris’s recipe.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Skillet fried and breaded perch, steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

fedex leftovers!!! :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Baked wild salmon fillet with baked acorn squash and steamed broccoli and baby carrots.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

when you baked your salmon, what temp and time? thanks, clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:02 am when you baked your salmon, what temp and time? thanks, clive
425F for 20 or 25 mins.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the reply. i always make a mess of it when i try, but will give your 'specs' a whirl
:D
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:29 am thanks for the reply. i always make a mess of it when i try, but will give your 'specs' a whirl
:D
Clive, I just watched a session of Cook’s Country in which they recommended baking salmon “low and slow”. I’ve downloaded the recipe and will give it a try.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

on the subject of fish and recipes, I made a fish 'stew' last night using scallops, salmon and flounder. Followed this recipe to a T ex the types of fish. Tasty, easy to make and worth keeping recipe to make again
https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/seaf ... n-the-fly/

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:27 pmSun Mar 01, 2015 2:27 pm
Today I was craving something different, so I made one of my favorites. Two pieces of multi-grain whole wheat bread, liberally buttered on one side; in a skillet I melted more butter and placed the bread dry side down in the hot butter in the skillet until the dry side had absorbed most of the melted butter and started to brown, turned them over so they'd brown on both sides. When they were ready I put them on a plate and spread a huge amount of peanut butter on one and a huge amount of blackberry preserves on the other and gave them a few moments to cool a bit and then I put them together and made a beautiful buttery pan fried peanut butter and "jelly" sandwich. Sliced it in halves and enjoyed it with a large cup of hot coffee. Amazing! This is one treat I don't give myself more than about once a year.
Hard to believe it's been almost seven years. This was my delightful supper last evening. Home run every time!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I made a huge pot of dal (curried lentil soup) on Saturday, and we ate it with naan and poppadums. And it wasn't half gone, so last night for a change I served it with aloo tikki, which are balls of mashed potato, vegetables, chilli flakes, turmeric, chaat masala and coriander, rolled in flour, then egg white, then breadcrumbs and deep fried. Crunchy and crispy on the outside, soft and spicy in the middle!

Aloo_Tikki.jpeg
Aloo_Tikki.jpeg (746.57 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
I suppose you could describe them as potato croquettes with a strong kick of Indian spices. Even so, they were extra good with a drizzle of tamarind sauce.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

looks very good....I'll have to try making them. I make your saag recipe quite often....always a delight

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Tonight I’m making Indian Coconut Curry Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes and Green Peas. I’ve not made it before, but the recipe looks straightforward enough for my limited culinary skills.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

how did your chicken turn out?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:35 am how did your chicken turn out?
It was good, but the spicing needs to be amped up to suit our taste. The overall flavour is deep and well rounded, but both my wife and I thought it could do with a bit more Garam Masala and Madras curry. It was my first attempt at this recipe. In most cases I find that recipes require a bit more spicing than called for to satisfy our taste. In the case of the Hoppin’ John recipe the good Dr Moss shared with us I’ve increased the amount of bacon and doubled the garlic and Cajun seasoning. I love this trial and error aspect of cooking.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Tonight I’ll be making Turkish Red Lentil Soup/Stew for dinner tomorrow. This is my second attempt at this recipe. As with most soups and stews, I find their flavour deepens and becomes more complex a day or two after they’ve been made.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the update

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday, Monday 3.14 was officially designated as pi day. My wife decides to have some fun with it, so she invited some family and friends over to eat PIE on pi day. It was great, we provided the salad and 3 pies - the other guests brought whatever kind of pie they wished. We had a total of about ten or eleven pies to choose from, yes, there were chicken pot, shepherd's, baked macaroni and cheese, key lime, lemon meringue, chocolate cream, and 3 or 4 others. Everybody had a great time and definitely enjoyed the variety of delicious pie.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:48 pm Yesterday, Monday 3.14 was officially designated as pi day. My wife decides to have some fun with it, so she invited some family and friends over to eat PIE on pi day. It was great, we provided the salad and 3 pies - the other guests brought whatever kind of pie they wished. We had a total of about ten or eleven pies to choose from, yes, there were chicken pot, shepherd's, baked macaroni and cheese, key lime, lemon meringue, chocolate cream, and 3 or 4 others. Everybody had a great time and definitely enjoyed the variety of delicious pie.
Never heard of it. Only works for the American-style of writing the date.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pi
Definition of math constant π (pi)
The symbol π (pi) is used in math as a geometric constant in formulas and the radian angle system. The value of π is naturally occuring and can be found by dividing the length of a circle’s circumference by the length of its diameter.

π= dC =3.1415926535...

Traditionally, π (pi) has been used in math as the circle constant.
Here's a link: https://www.piday.org/
Celebrated worldwide, but maybe some folks have never heard of it.

Bryan, the supper was really a great experience. :D

You have my permission to consider us uninformed foreigners, happily creating occasions for the express purpose of having a fun day of fellowship with the family. :D :D :D
It's all good, brother! 8)
Gary