What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: What's for supper?

Post by drmoss_ca »

Last week I made a traditional Italian Easter dish a bit early - torta pasqualina, a pie with spincah, ricotta and eggs cooked inside it. Rather than make the layered pastry, I did it in hot water crust pastry, which proved strong enough for the deep pie. Worth the effort! This sis pretty much the recipe I used (be sure to switch on the subtitles if your Italian is as bad as mine!):

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

To each his own, but my wife and I have recently enrolled in an online (located next door in Texas, I believe) program that sends us 3 complete and ready to prepare meals a week at a total delivered cost at or near what it would have cost to go to a grocery store, restaurant or fast food. I've been given the job of cooking it, and I love to do the cooking. The ingredients they send are fresh and of good quality. The complete recipes are obviously prepared by folks who know what they're doing. We decide which ones we want in advance. Having been quarantined for the past weeks, we look forward to receiving and enjoying the good food. This sounds like an advertisement they would have written, but unfortunately we have no interest whatsoever in the company. Never heard of it until It was recommended to us by our daughter.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Let's see...
It started out with a base of cubes of chicken sautéd, then boiled up some rotini noodles, microwaved the last of a bottle of Marinara sauce, and a handful of leftover corn.
Top it with fresh-ground black pepper and a handful of shredded Asiago.
Dessert was a baby apple pie (sort of an over-sized tart) microwaved for 45 seconds, then about 1/3 cup of vanilla ice cream on top. Serve with a a stick of the last of the Extra-Old Cheddar to nibble on.

Not bad for an unplanned supper.
A bit heavy on the carbs though.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Our local store has been out of my favourite heat-and-eat soup - Campbell's "Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup", in a box, for a couple of weeks now. Also the similar soup by President's Choice. I like it with a sandwich at lunch time.
A few days ago I got the idea to throw together:
  • 1 can of condensed tomato soup, Aylmer's, Campbell's, No-Name, or whatever.
  • 1 can of water
  • 6-8 generous tablespoons of Classico "Spicy Red Pepper" pasta sauce
  • a handful of cherry tomatoes cut into thirds or quarters.
Heat it up in a saucepan as per the directions on the can.
When serving it, top it with a couple of cranks from the pepper mill and 2-3 tablespoons of shredded Asiago cheese (per bowl or soup cup).
I'm sure any number of other brands or flavours of pasta sauce will do, as long as they're on the spicy side and lumpy.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
pausted

Post by pausted »

Here is a three ingredient recipe for tomato basil soup.

1 jar tomato basil pasta sauce ( we like Paul Neumann brand)
1 jar light alfredo sauce ( Ragu brand works well)
1 can low sodium chicken broth

Heat to just below boiling.
This is great with grilled cheese sandwiches. We have this often.
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

This is great with grilled cheese sandwiches. We have this often.<<<<

will have to give this a try asap! thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

We found some rib eye steaks in the freezer. Our youngest daughter is coming over for supper and it's going to be a good one. I'm lighting my fire in the 41 year old "big green egg" now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You're making my mouth water! Just stop!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

They were wonderful!
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I hate you. :D

I've eaten meat once this year (but it was a pot roast made from a joint of moose, so worth waiting for). Now I can't even sneak out for a pack of bacon with the eagle-eyed Boss at home.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Perhaps it would be possible to smuggle you some beef - maybe in an unmarked package or label it prominently as shaving accessories? Surely there is a way to keep it frozen. What would Canadian Post think? :D Where there's a will, there's usually a way!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Got some company coming to our house tomorrow. This evening's supper needed to be cheap fast and good just for the two of us. I got a box of Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice. I added a couple of sliced smoked sausages. Brought to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes. We didn't realize just how long it's been since we had it, and it was delicious.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

brothers wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:32 am Perhaps it would be possible to smuggle you some beef - maybe in an unmarked package or label it prominently as shaving accessories? Surely there is a way to keep it frozen. What would Canadian Post think? :D Where there's a will, there's usually a way!
The most imaginative customs description I have seen was from 4noggins.com, who managed, I presume, to keep a straight face as they described 4lb of black cavendish as "pipe stuffing" - which makes it all sound like either something a plumber needs, or the contents of the stuffing box around your drive shaft. Not to be personal: I don't know if there's room for 4lb of anything around your drive shaft! I'm talking propellers and boats. It successfully escaped not just duty and taxes, but confiscation. Canadians may no longer send dangerous goods like pipe tobacco through the mail. All hail, St Justin!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tiki Masala over jasmine rice. Very good!

PS, I was actually talking about smuggling it into your kitchen without you-know-who being any the wiser! :wink:
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Cottage pie with green peas.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Last night it was curried shrimp, broccoli, cauliflower and baby carrots. I cheated a bit by using a commercially prepared curry sauce of spicy cumin, ginger and chilli, which is very tasty. \:D/
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tonight the wife is making Ree Drummond's perfect pot roast. Gonna be delicious!

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Through a contact who generally tries to get a moose license each year in New Brunswick, where moose are more plentiful than in NS, I manage to get a small joint of moose each year. It always goes into a pot roast, where it will be both tender and flavoursome. I read with some horror that food banks in Newfoundland are offering moose meat this year. Oddly, the closest meat to moose I have ever had is the British hare. Dark, rich and nothing like a rabbit. Makes me wonder about the snowshoe hares here - are they like rabbit or like hare?
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Steak and mushroom pie with baked acorn squash and steamed broccoli.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:00 am Through a contact who generally tries to get a moose license each year in New Brunswick, where moose are more plentiful than in NS, I manage to get a small joint of moose each year. It always goes into a pot roast, where it will be both tender and flavoursome. I read with some horror that food banks in Newfoundland are offering moose meat this year. Oddly, the closest meat to moose I have ever had is the British hare. Dark, rich and nothing like a rabbit. Makes me wonder about the snowshoe hares here - are they like rabbit or like hare?
I’m not too fussy about moose meat, rabbit or hare, but I’ll eat them as long as they’re accompanied by a full-bodied claret. My preferred game meats are bison, ostrich and kangaroo. The latter two are tricky to cook because they are very lean. I don’t have many opportunities to eat any of these meats because the Boss refuses even to try them and if you mention that rabbit Is on the menu she’ll run out of the room backwards screaming. On our last visit to Ischia, Italy, she nearly fainted when she learnt that the traditional dish there is rabbit and was served up a generous portion for dinner one night. She never went to boarding school as I did where I learnt to eat what was put in front of me or starve. :mrgreen:
Bryan