What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

What's for supper?

Post by brothers »

Home cooking -- Whether you call it dinner or supper, breakfast, lunch, brunch, just so you know, yesterday evening we had a big pot of taco soup and tonight we had red beans and rice. I had a sliced fresh tomato with mine. A couple of days ago we had a pan fried ribeye steak with some steamed broccoli. Outstanding! I just peeked at the coming attractions and I see mac and cheese and lasagna coming my way. The wife is a much better cook than me, and she usually doesn't mind doing it. So what's cooking at your house?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: What's for supper?

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I've been so busy that I've been eating a lot of hot sandwiches lately for supper, Panini's mostly, but things (hopefully) are beginning to slow down a bit. I'm supposed to be retired, but it would be difficult to recognize that.

Wednesday night we have planned a boiled dinner of ham, don't know what for veggies yet, but I'm going to campaign hard for carrots. We haven't made homemade mac and cheese in years and that's also planned.

I generally eat a good breakfast and nothing for lunch. Today it was 2 slices of no-knead bread toast (buttered) with 3 eggs from the ladies. No idea what I'll have tomorrow. When my feet hit the floor tomorrow I'll be at a run immediately. Yeah, things are slowing down. :?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tonight was chicken breasts sauteed with a brown butter sauce and a side of acorn squash baked in butter and cheese.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Traveling for work again (when am I not traveling for work, you may ask) -- so more appropriate for me is the question of where am I gonna eat for supper without putting on weight? :wink: Traveling is not the glamorous thing that many people who don't travel for work think that it is.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tonight was leftover pork tenderloin medallions sauteed in clarified butter and dressed in a simple vinaigrette sauce with a side of fennel braised in a white wine (recipe from the Alpes).

Chris
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Tonight it was pork roast, mashed sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli, washed down by Pinot Grigio. :mrgreen:
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tonight was the boiled ham dinner that I mentioned a few posts above. For Mac & Cheese we did a knockoff of the old Horn & Hardart Automat type M&C. It contains tomato which gives it a really nice zip. If anyone wants the recipe I'll post it once I write it up. It's a Cooks Country recipe; a little more involved than simple M&C, but not terribly so. The result is well worth it though. A friend came over for dinner and he had 3rd helpings of it. He rarely ever has seconds. He doesn't cook and he asked for the recipe.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I'm only saying one thing...

David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

TheMonk wrote:I'm only saying one thing...

I often want to post this image in threads ..... :lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

LOL! True.

I'll try to remember to take pix of the Automat knockoff Mac & Cheese when I dish some out tonight. Everyone knows what ham and carrots look like.

I can't write for other folks.
Brian

pausted

Post by pausted »

Sorry guys, no pics but tonight will be roasted pork loin, sweet potatoes, onions and carrots, roasted with the meat, a side salad of greens, tomatoes and avocado slices and washed down with a nice chardonnay. Can't wait. The aroma is wafting through the house.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I didn't think of taking a picture, but tonight we had fried onion burgers. Smells good when on the griddle, and with a bit of mustard, pickles, lettuce and tomatoes, a dash of Tabasco, salt and pepper, and wow!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

TheMonk wrote:I'm only saying one thing...

And I'm agreeing.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Cottage pie with peas and corn nIblets; the former being served on the side and the latter being cooked in the pie.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tonight was sauteed chicken pieces Barthelasse with sides of steamed broccoli in unsalted butter and plain white rice prepared in the way recommended by Julia Child.

Always elicits second and third helpings amongst the children. :)

Chris
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Again: we need pics, gents! A quick pic with the mobile would be more then enough to satisfy our curiosity! 8)

And just to get the ball rolling, here's last night's supper: a heartwarming and calorie packed Boeuf Bourguignon, with Rice in the Oven (don't know if this is something done in the US, but I've never seen it):

David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

All you're missing is cornbread which we do cook in the U.S.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

David, that beef bourguignon looks inviting and scrumptious. Looks like it might be cooked in a Le Creuset (or something similar) pan as well. I like making mine in cast iron too. I use the oval dutch oven because we are cooking for six. It's good for the soul.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

David, that meal would almost justify airfare to Portugal!

(I lived in the Algarve and got as far north as Guarda and Viseu. I never made it to Porto or other parts north. This, unfortunately, was many years ago, and I hope one day to get back to Portugal for an updated experience.)

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You guys are inspiring.
Regards,
Squire