What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Rufus

Re: What's for supper?

Post by Rufus »

Steak & kidney pud tonight. \:D/
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Rufus wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:54 pm Steak & kidney pud tonight. \:D/
You can the kid out of the boarding school, but you can't take the boarding school out of the kid.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:53 am
Rufus wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:54 pm Steak & kidney pud tonight. \:D/
You can the kid out of the boarding school, but you can't take the boarding school out of the kid.
You’re bang on, Chris. My wife will confirm your point. :mrgreen:
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

(Dr Chris’s) Hoppin’ John.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm going to try a different way of making fish cakes, not bound together with potato or breadcrumbs, but with a shrimp mousse. If it works, I'll put the recipe up in the Cook's Diary.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Steak & kidney pud tonight.
a recent episode of great british bake off had contestants doing cornish pasties....ive been thinking about them for days, and of course the torture will continue as there isnt a bakery 100 miles from here that makes them :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s....i mention the cornish pasty only because growing up the weekly dilemma at the bakery was; cornish pasty or steak and kidney pie?? Throw sausage rolls into the mix and its head exploding stuff hahahahahah

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:28 am p.s....i mention the cornish pasty only because growing up the weekly dilemma at the bakery was; cornish pasty or steak and kidney pie?? Throw sausage rolls into the mix and its head exploding stuff hahahahahah

clive
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: not to mention belly busting. There’s nothing more (ful)filling than a good Cornish pasty; sausage rolls are right up there too.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Cornish pasties are easy. I hope I have put up a recipe here, but if not, just ask. The new version of fish cakes is about to go live, but don't get your hopes up unless you enjoy cooking all day long!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Chris. I just now finished reading your fish cakes recipe and all i can say is: rather you than me :D Im sure they were delicious

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Baked pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed broccoli. Had a couple of guests and it was a nice evening.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Curried chicken pot pie with green peas and carrots.
Bryan
pausted

Post by pausted »

Green split pea soup with ham and corn bread.
Best regards,

Basil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Last might I made mashed potatoes with butter, milk, garlic and black pepper. Then softly scrambled eggs (a generous three each), and when nearly done, mixed in diced smoked salmon. Place on top of mashed potato, dress with thin shreds of lettuce and serve with - you'll never guess! - cranberry sauce!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It sounds wonderful, Chris, up until the cranberry sauce. Just not my thing.

I take it Pippa wasn't home with you for dinner. 8)

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i had plans for chili and rice but after reading im doing chili and mash :lol:

clive
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm doing a little fusion experiment today - my stomach isn't up to a chili, so instead of my usual mix of red chilli, paprika and mustard powder, I crossing the ingredients of a chili with those of a Spanish red kidney bean stew, like Alubias de Cantabria. It starts out as the latter but takes a swerve into the chilli at the end.

Pressure cook two cups red kidney beans for 40 minutes, drain.
Make a stock by roughly chopping some carrots, an onion and a couple of sweet peppers, cover with water and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain, keeping the stock and the vegetables.
Take a handful of the cooked beans, a handful of the vegetables and maybe half a cup of the stock and blend together (this will thicken the dish)
In a big frying pan, I use a wok, fry some chopped garlic in olive oil for a couple of minutes so it just begins to brown.
Add your minced beef or fake meat, stir and next add the blended mixture, followed by the rest of the cooked beans, the vegetables and some of the stock. Also a large tin of diced tomatoes.
Now to season: salt, black pepper, 1tsp smoked paprika and 1tsp ground cumin. Taste and adjust. This is going to taste slightly smokey and curry-ish, but not be hot like a chili. I wanted a little fruitiness too, so I cheated and added a dollop of HP Fruity Sauce, and a couple of TBSP of ketchup.

You can simmer for half an hour or so, adding more stock if you think it's too thick - actually, depending on what you want, you can make it thinner, like a chunky soup and serve with bread, or thicker like a stew with potatoes, or as thick as chili on rice. If you have it, some fresh parsley or cilantro on top would go well. Mine is about to start simmering down to the desired thickness:

IMG_0727.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg (156.16 KiB) Viewed 7795 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:50 am I'm doing a little fusion experiment today - my stomach isn't up to a chili, so instead of my usual mix of red chilli, paprika and mustard powder, I crossing the ingredients of a chili with those of a Spanish red kidney bean stew, like Alubias de Cantabria. It starts out as the latter but takes a swerve into the chilli at the end.

Pressure cook two cups red kidney beans for 40 minutes, drain.
Make a stock by roughly chopping some carrots, an onion and a couple of sweet peppers, cover with water and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain, keeping the stock and the vegetables.
Take a handful of the cooked beans, a handful of the vegetables and maybe half a cup of the stock and blend together (this will thicken the dish)
In a big frying pan, I use a wok, fry some chopped garlic in olive oil for a couple of minutes so it just begins to brown.
Add your minced beef or fake meat, stir and next add the blended mixture, followed by the rest of the cooked beans, the vegetables and some of the stock. Also a large tin of diced tomatoes.
Now to season: salt, black pepper, 1tsp smoked paprika and 1tsp ground cumin. Taste and adjust. This is going to taste slightly smokey and curry-ish, but not be hot like a chili. I wanted a little fruitiness too, so I cheated and added a dollop of HP Fruity Sauce, and a couple of TBSP of ketchup.

You can simmer for half an hour or so, adding more stock if you think it's too thick - actually, depending on what you want, you can make it thinner, like a chunky soup and serve with bread, or thicker like a stew with potatoes, or as thick as chili on rice. If you have it, some fresh parsley or cilantro on top would go well. Mine is about to start simmering down to the desired thickness:

IMG_0727.jpg
That looks and sounds really good, so I’ll give it a try. When I moved to Texas one of the first culinary taboos I learnt was that there are no beans in chili. After living there for 10 years, however, I still like beans in my chili, but I’d never tell my Texian friends and neighbours this. 8) Now that I’m back in Canada I’m free to do as I wish. :mrgreen:
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Simple French Dip tonight.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

read about mississipi roast yesterday and of course had to give it a whirl....cooking as we 'speak' I cant wait to try it.

https://www.southernliving.com/dish/cla ... ippi-roast

clive