What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

Re: What's for supper?

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:31 am gary, how long do you pot roast for? for me anyway, there seems to be a line--8'ish hours'-- where on one side meat is tough and on the other its fork tender. lately which side of the line im on has been a flipcoin

clive
Clive, this time it was at least 9 hours, possibly 9 1/2 - 10.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

ShadowsDad wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 am
. . . . the BP is doing good, the LDL/HDL in Sept' 1 was 43/72 (not a typo), and I'm doing good. (I had a triple bypass in early June after an extremely mild heart attack)

I did cheat a bit on Saturday... I allow myself 2 eggs per week, so I had them and 2 very thin slices of lower sodium Spam, fried crispy to get rid of as much fat as possible. No salt on the eggs, and I really missed that. In my previous life I couldn't eat eggs w/o salt. If there is any left by next Saturday I'll probably crisp up another 2 slices and dice it finely and add it to my eggs for the sodium content.
Brian, it's good to see you're doing so well!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

To-night it’ll be homemade (by me) salmon cakes and salad.
Bryan
Thunderbolt_A10

Post by Thunderbolt_A10 »

Salmon soup and rye bread. Pure Slavic cooking! :mrgreen:
brothers

Post by brothers »

A big skillet of goulash. We use a combination of ground beef and Italian sausage.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

I cooked a big pot of split pea soup with the left over thanksgiving ham. Delicious!
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Last evening the wife was away at supper time, so I located some leftover cooked ribeye in the freezer and decided to make myself some fajitas. I had already cut the meat into strips when I froze it a while back. I put one big serving into a bowl and added lime juice, onions, oil, chopped jalapeno slices and a couple of spices and some crushed garlic before I thawed it in the microwave. I stirred it and let it sit for about an hour before I fried it in a skillet. It was excellent. Makes me happy to know I've got enough for another plate waiting for the next opportunity.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

:D I think I hate you Gary. I haven't had a ribeye since close to forever. In fact I have to pay someone back and he requested a rib roast for himself and 2 other folks. I doubt that I'll be able to eat any of it. But a deal is a deal and that's what he wanted.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I understand Brian! Gotta take care of yourself.

Tonight I had a big bowl of Pho` from the Vietnamese/Thai restaurant. The wife had chicken lomein and egg rolls. I love soup.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Last night we had pot roast with 🥕 and 🥔. Very yummy and satisfying.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Last night it was sauteed rib-eye steak (rare treat) and homemade Bearnaise sauce with Provencal sauteed green beans and scalloped potatoes au gratin (Jacques Pepin style, which is my favorite).

I was in Heaven.

Chris
pausted

Post by pausted »

Last night we had pan sautéed tilapia filets, baked butternut squash, and sliced tomatoes. A very nice and healthy meal.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

This evening was cheap pizza. Pepperoni for me, with a thin crispy crust.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

last night i made this https://www.markbittman.com/recipes-1/d ... and-greens

ten thumbs up!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Last night was a huge pot of tortellini soup. Made with spicy hot sausage. Wow!!! Guess what's for lunch again today :D and I'm definitely "in"!
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Today I was on a cooking tear.

The other day I put 3 roasts in the sous vide bath. The goal was "roast" beef that I can eat since RB from the deli is too high in sodium. Previously I had made Italian flavored RB, this time just gran' garlic and b' pepper went in the bags with the beef. After trimming it down to 100% lean to my eye they were SV at 129°F for 38-42 hours, the larger ones getting more time. They came out of the SV bath today. The result? Delicious and as tender as filet mignon. Two of them will be frozen.

Yesterday I made 4 loaves of bread. Last week(?) I tried a week long slow fermentation bread that just wasn't worth the time. This time I used an ingredient that is slow fermentation... beer. The loaves were 50% fresh ground white whole wheat, the rest being bread flour with 1/3 of that being "vital wheat gluten" to give the sliced bread strength. Turned out those are the loaves I've been wanting. Great taste that mutes the strong flavor of the w' wheat. This is a keeper.

I had one egg to consume for the week and a toasted slice of that bread received the egg. Small joys.

Not content to stop there I also needed mayo' so made a 1 pint batch. Possibly the best mayo' I've made to date. Next to be made was Brians Milk Substitute (a nut milk), and while the Vita-Mix was dirty made a batch of milk thistle paste, 3 1/2 pints worth.

Whew! Time for a break!

I have no idea what I'm having for supper tonight, but last night I had a RB sandwich with some of the Italian flavored RB and the fresh bread.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

all these posts are driving my appetite insane ...fedex leftovers ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

you gents are the best...27 thumbs up

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Brian, sounds delicious.

I will say that homemade mayo is the best, made a small batch this weekend myself.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mardi Gras - chicken and sausage gumbo, red beans and rice, Cajun chicken pasta, King cake, and hurricanes. A new addition to our menu this year will be Pączki (pronounced punch key). A Fat Tuesday tradition from Poland!
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, sounds scrumptious.

Chris