What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

Re: What's for supper?

Post by brothers »

She has a pork roast in the slow cooker for supper this evening. Smells delicious already.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Grilled Halibut with chips and coleslaw. This is the first time we’ve had the fish grilled in butter; usually it’s battered and deep fried. Unfortunately it was overdone and came out dry. We’ll go back to deep frying and remove the batter before eating; the fish is succulent and tender with this method and a lot healthier with the batter removed…I think. Halibut is too expensive to screw up.
Last edited by Rufus on Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

We have a pizza place, Pyro's, that sells their personal-sized pizzas for $3,14 on pi day if you buy a drink. Usually its about $9. Did not make it this year
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Made a nice cheesy ravioli last night, using ravioli stuffed with spinach. The cheese roux was a an absolute mongrel as as I had all sorts of bit of cheese, but none big enough to be used alone. Turned out to be a combination of Irish Cheddar, processed cheddar shreds, some L'Abbé, and some piave stravecchio, along with a squeeze of garlic pastem black pepper and a pinch of salt. It was actually very nice, which is a bit of a shame as I'll never manage the same combination of old/odd bits of cheese again!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Aubergine parmigiana.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Tonight I’ll be making salmon cakes. Haven’t decided on the veggies yet.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Rufus wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:16 am Aubergine parmigiana.
We don't have aubergines in the US. We have to make do with eggplant. :P

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:33 pm
Rufus wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:16 am Aubergine parmigiana.
We don't have aubergines in the US. We have to make do with eggplant. :P

- Murray
Aubergine sounds much more appetising than eggplant, at least to me. :wink:
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

It just sounds more exotic to say it in Italian! :D
Main ingredients: Eggplant, mozzarella, (Parmigiano-Reggiano), tomato sauce
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:54 am It just sounds more exotic to say it in Italian! :D
Main ingredients: Eggplant, mozzarella, (Parmigiano-Reggiano), tomato sauce
That too. :D
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Take away of assorted sushi.
Bryan
pausted

Post by pausted »

Rufus wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:58 am Take away of assorted sushi.
In Texas we call that bait.😄
Best regards,

Basil
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

pausted wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:42 pm
Rufus wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:58 am Take away of assorted sushi.
In Texas we call that bait.😄
:mrgreen:
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Tonight we’re having friends for dinner, so we’re going whole hog: grilled beef tenderloin with a garlic, rosemary and peppercorn rub, accompanied by asparagus, wild rice and butternut squash. For starters it’s a smoked salmon salad and afters it’s cheese (Stilton and old English cheddar) and crackers along with a drop or two of late bottled vintage Port/Cognac/Armagnac. Our guests are bring the wine to accompany the main course. O:)
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Rufus wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:26 am Tonight we’re having friends for dinner, so we’re going whole hog: grilled beef tenderloin with a garlic, rosemary and peppercorn rub, accompanied by asparagus, wild rice and butternut squash. For starters it’s a smoked salmon salad and afters it’s cheese (Stilton and old English cheddar) and crackers along with a drop or two of late bottled vintage Port/Cognac/Armagnac. Our guests are bring the wine to accompany the main course. O:)
This sounds scrumptious and is going on the "must make soon" list.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

EL Alamein wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:29 pm
Rufus wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:26 am Tonight we’re having friends for dinner, so we’re going whole hog: grilled beef tenderloin with a garlic, rosemary and peppercorn rub, accompanied by asparagus, wild rice and butternut squash. For starters it’s a smoked salmon salad and afters it’s cheese (Stilton and old English cheddar) and crackers along with a drop or two of late bottled vintage Port/Cognac/Armagnac. Our guests are bring the wine to accompany the main course. O:)
This sounds scrumptious and is going on the "must make soon" list.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
The dinner was excellent, especially the beef tenderloin. The rub was just the thing to bring out the full flavour of the meat, which is difficult with a beef tenderloin because of its lack of marbling. Last night I kept dinner simple with a straight forward pasta dish. Nevertheless, I screwed it up by forgetting to add the fresh Basil leaves, a key ingredient. #-o
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

It’s Friday, which means it’s pizza tonight. As per usual I’ll have a Hawaiian, which will make your average Neopolitan cringe, and my wife will have a Fungi. \:D/
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Watching a semifinal college playoff game while I enjoyed a mixed green salad and a rib from Jack's BBQ.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Surrounded by lots and lots of unpacked boxes, I made a cheat of a supper last night. In a cupboard I found an unused Proctor-Silex rice cooker - one of those simple ones with an on switch and nothing else (and which takes 15 minutes to cook the rice as opposed to my programmable Zojirushi which takes an hour). This little house currently has the contents of our big house plus those from two student homes that Thomas had lived in and which had been rented since. This must have come from his Sackville house. It had a plastic bowl inside the top of the non-stick metal rice bowl. So I put rice and water in the bottom, and three chunks of salmon in the top. As the rice cooked, the salmon steamed. Pan of carrots on the new induction cooktop (which I think I will grow to like when I am more adept with its controls) and supper was made with the addition of ginger-soy sauce for a dressing.

The mess:

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

looks like a great home.....and on the subject of rice cookers, I made something last week that is a) very similar and b) very delicious. c) super easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KetZjBi ... dex=1&t=1s

ngredients
4 dried shitake mushrooms - soaked in hot water
4 chicken thighs, cut into roughly 1” pieces
2 mL (½ tsp) XO sauce
15 mL (1 Tbsp) finely grated ginger
30 mL (2 Tbsp) soy sauce
5 mL (1 tsp) oyster sauce
5 mL (1 tsp) sesame oil
5 mL (1 tsp) cornstarch
60 mL (¼ cup) Chinese Shaoxing cooking wine
2 garlic cloves, minced
250 mL (1 cup) jasmine rice
250 mL (1 cup) chicken stock
2 Chinese lap cheong sausages, sliced
250 mL (1 cup) frozen soy beans, optional
250 mL (1 cup) cut up broccoli florets, optional (any greens like bok choy, etc)
Sliced green onions, to serve

Method:
Combine the chicken, XO sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, ginger, cornstarch, sesame oil and wine.
Set this chicken mixture in the fridge for 20-30 minutes, if you have the time.

In a rice cooker, combine the chicken mixture, rice, chicken stock, garlic, and sliced sausage.
Mix it together, put on the lid, and let it cook.
When the cooking cycle is complete, add the frozen soy, and other vegetables, replace the lid and let it ‘cook’ on the keep warm cycle.
Serve with sliced green onions.
de gustibus non est disputandum