What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

Re: What's for supper?

Post by brothers »

Breaded skillet-fried catfish, mashed potatoes, green peas, and a salad. Chocolate cream pie for desert.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You must have a massive rice cooker, Clive! Sounds good though.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the guy that did the recipe used the same rice cooker you have Chris :D My cooker (Zojirushi) is a 4 cup model

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Quick curry last night. Made up as I went along, but roughly might be called a balti.

Oil in pan, fry two chopped red onions. Add five crushed green cardamom pods, on broken cinnamon stick and four cloves. Slice two medium carrots and pick off half a cauliflower's worth of florets. Put it in the curry. Add half a tsp of chili powder, a tsp of cumin seed and a tsp of cumin. Then a tablespoon of garlic/ginger paste. Stir and reduce heat so does not burn. Add a tin of diced tomatoes, and a tin of chickpeas, then a cup of milk. Need some green colour - add some frozen peas. Spinach would do too. Put the lid on and slow simmer for an hour. Before serving, add a tsp of garam masala and spoon over basmati rice. Garnish with cilantro if you have it.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Last evening was a very good fish called barramundi. Popular Australian fish. Breadcrumbs, pan-fried and served with steamed broccoli. Made an easy and delicious summer supper.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Our vegetarian ruler was off at a conference, so I made a beef stew, using the same technique as for a stove-top pot roast. Very simple and very good. The induction stove is wonderful for controlling temperature exactly, which is just what you want for a stew that has to be slowly simmered for four hours without burning on the pan.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

For supper yesterday I breaded and mildly seasoned pan-fried catfish fillet. In the skillet 4 minutes on each side and backed with a peppercorn ranch salad. Very enjoyable.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

all sounds very delicious. off topic would LUV an induction stove

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

A few days ago my 17 yr old grandson and I created a variation to one of our (especially his) all-time favorite for supper, Mac & Cheese.
Our variation is called Jalapeno bacon macaroni and cheese.
I promised him I would prepare a written and shareable recipe in case we or anyone else might eventually wish to make one.
Here it is:

Jalapeno bacon macaroni and cheese

Ingredients:
3 cups elbow macaroni
3/4 cup half & half
1/2 pound uncooked bacon
Bacon grease (saved after frying bacon)
Extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Monterey jack cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup jalapeno slices, rinsed, drained, and chopped

Preparation:
1. Add 3 cups of uncooked macaroni to a pan of boiling water, cook for 10 or 15 minutes and set the oven to pre-heat to 350 degrees
2. While the macaroni cooks and the oven heats, prepare a large (3 qt) 9”x14” baking pan by spraying it with non-stick cooking oil
3. Cut the bacon into small cubes and pan fry until done to your liking, then drain and save the bacon grease from the frying pan
4. Spread 1/3 of the cooked and drained macaroni in the bottom of the pan
5. Spread half of the chopped jalapenos over the macaroni
6. Spread half of the cooked bacon cubes over the chopped jalapenos
7. Spread a layer of extra sharp cheddar evenly over the jalapeno and bacon
8. Spoon half of the liquid bacon grease evenly over the extra sharp cheese
9. Repeat steps 4,5,6,7, and 8
10. Spread the remaining macaroni evenly over the cheese
11. Spread the Monterey Jack cheese over the macaroni
12. Pour the half and half evenly around the edges and across the long center of the dish
13. Place the dish into the 350 degree oven and let it cook for 30 minutes, keeping a close watch on the time, then check to see if the cheese is lightly brown. At this stage, the dish may be removed and served. However, if you choose to allow more cooking time, check frequently for no more than an additional 15 minutes or less.

07/03/22
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sounds delicious, but might not pass the vegetarian censor here. I do chop her fake bacon up and put it in quiches and Carbonara.

Lately working ("wokking"?) on getting egg fried rice perfect. Tricky to get rice grains that don't clump, egg that is yellow and soft, not gray and rubbery, but also defined in lumps and not coating the rest. But when it works, combined with some stir-fried vegetables and some home-made sweet and sour sauce, it's delish!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

if you have some time and don't mind going down a small rabbit hole, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1zQnLT138 I think that there are seven videos in total

clive
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Also making ice cream, using the attachment on a KitchenAid stand mixer.

1½ cups whipping cream
1½ cups whole milk
½ cup sugar

is the basic mix (less rich than the Kitchenaid instructions). Do not pour into the frozen KA bowl! Mix everything in a measuring jug and then pour into the frozen bowl as the machine stirs it. Otherwise the first ingredient will freeze on the walls of the frozen bowl before you add everything else! Mix for 20 minutes, then place in a container and freeze. You may need to adjust your freezer so it isn't as hard as concrete when you take it out.
So far I've made rum and raisin (5ml rum flavouring and a handful of raisins soaked overnight in rum), mint chocolate chip (mint flavouring, chocolate baking chips and green colouring) and licorice (15ml flavouring and a bunch of red colour, lacking a convincing black).
Next, I want to make elderflower ice cream, and I see I can buy a suitable syrup from Amazon.
Home made ice cream is bound to impress guests, if anyone remembers what they were. Yes, I'm still in isolation.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sorry to hear you're still in isolation, Chris.

Will there be an end to that?

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It would be over long ago if it weren't for Covid. It is assumed that no useful effect from vaccination (I've had 2 Pfizer and 2 Moderna) is to be expected among the transplanted (or even among untransplanted CLL patients as the disease itself suppresses immunity). There's a forum for CLL patients, and it's sad to watch the membership, always prone to sudden change, thinning out as one by one they get all their immunizations, then get Covid anyway, then they're gone.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It is my sincere wish that this not be your fate, Chris.

We haven't exactly been buddies, but I would grieve your passing.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll do my best to save you from that, Murray!

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris I pray you will keep trucking on I saw something about elderflower. I have some Zym immunity tablets that I mix with water in elderberry flavor. I quite like that flavor.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

We made elderberry wine when I was a kid, but then discovered how much better it was to use the flowers rather than wait for the berries. Gorgeous floral scent and flavour. Makes excellent wine, and even an elderflower champagne! It will be interesting to make ice cream with that flavour. Also considering a lavender ice cream...
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Torta di Pasqua:
Torta di Pasqua.jpeg
Torta di Pasqua.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 2657 times
Spinach, chard, kale, cheese, cream and egg in the blind-baked pie base, then whole eggs cracked into depressions and baked again.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

That looks really good! I’ll try to make one. Since I’m a bit lazy, I’ll use a frozen pie crust.
Best regards,

Basil