Probably not the healthiest, but good

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Rufus

Re: Probably not the healthiest, but good

Post by Rufus »

The closest I come to custard at home is the tin of a Bird’s Custard Powder my wife keeps in the larder. I save the creme brûlée, creme caramel, soufflés, etc for dining out.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 am Amazingly, there was always one kid at each table who wanted the skin. Thick and chewy and nasty as it was. My school custard came in four varieties, the pale yellow stuff being commonest, but occasionally it would be chocolate, pink, or white.

Whilst we talk of fake custard, I'll note that the tinned custard powder requires the use of milk and sugar to make, and it will mean washing a pan. However, you get to control the amount of sugar. Not available in Canada, but easily found in the UK, is an instant version: just add boiling water and it's done. This is a bright yellow and sickly sweet, being a cartoon version of the real thing (pacé, you French*) for idiots unable to go beyond the boiling of a kettle. A good example of the weaponization of sugar by the prepared food industry.

*Of course, crème anglaise can be made with eggs, milk and sugar, and once you get a feel for the many forms of custard that can be made with these ingredients by varying proportions or whipping the egg whites, you enter the splendid world of baked custards, creme caramel, soufflés etc.
Mmmm, yes, creme anglaise and such. Made it many times and now in the mood to do it again.

My waistline says you should be banned! But my heart knows different.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, there's a certain unfairness in the fact that one can learn to cook from scratch, from basic ingredients, nothing pre-prepared, frozen, no additives, colourings, trans-fats, HFCS. And then you get fat. Despite the 'healthy' diet where you know every ingredient. Despite the fact that meat is something you eat once a month if lucky. You get friggin' fat.

I suppose food has to be something enjoyed not for itself, but only because you are hungry, and then in barely sufficient amounts. Oh well, looks like I'll be starting my special six-month weight loss regime next month.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Yep, modern problems.

Chris
Xring3

Post by Xring3 »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:53 am I never thought i would eat things like biscuits and gravy, but when i go down to SC im at the wafflehouse or similar nearly every morning doing just that :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

btw, a $1 tip is a bit stingy :D :D /jk

clive
The dollar tip may seem stingy to you but, in that part of the country it’s generous.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We got back a week and a half ago and true to form, I got my own personal jug of custard at family dinner --- back away from the custard and no one gets hurt ......
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?