Experimental Pudding

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Experimental Pudding

Post by drmoss_ca »

Anyone else like a traditional steamed pudding? I don't use suet, so they come out a bit less dense than the original school dinner kind. This one is a first try at an experiment, using Tate & Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of most of the sugar. I intend to pour some more over it, and then serve with an egg nog custard (ie custard plus vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon). I see the mice have been at it already while it is still steaming hot!

Roughly speaking, mix 1 cup white flour, 3 TBSP sugar, ¼tsp salt, 1½ tsp baking powder for dry ingredients. Mix 1 cup milk, 1 egg, a couple of drops vanilla essence, 2 tsp melted butter and 3 TBSP Golden Syrup for the wet ingredients. Mix up, pour into a pudding basin, cover and steam for 2 hours.

Chocolate version: leave out Golden Syrup, increase sugar to ¼ cup, and add 3½ TBSP cocoa powder.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Re: Experimental Pudding

Post by Rufus »

I haven’t had steamed pudding with Golden Syrup in years. We used to get it once a week at boarding school and I loved it; highlight of my culinary week. Good doctor, you’ve re-kindled my interest.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It looks good, Chris, and that served together with egg nog custard sounds like a wonderful combination.

- Murray
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Great post and it looks and sounds very delicious.

I never knew what a traditional steamed pudding was until my post about Christmas pudding. Even though I didn't care for what I bought I am interested in trying something more genuine.

Your post has my interest piqued and I may try it nut it will have to wait until all the Holiday pounds come off.

Chris