Coconut Custard Pie

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Coconut Custard Pie

Post by drmoss_ca »

Custard pies and custard tarts are favourites of mine, but the cooking of them is tricky, as egg custards can separate if the oven is a little too hot. Here is a completely easy and simple cheat, that makes a custard pie with ingredients all mixed together that automagically separate in the dish into a soft crust, a custard filling and a toasted coconut top.

Preheat oven to 350ºF
In your mixer, blender or just a bowl with a whisk, mix the following:
4 eggs
6 TBSP olive oil or butter
¾ cup sugar
½ cup white flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground nutmeg

mix until no lumps, then add
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, and mix briefly (we don't want the coconut to absorb moisture or it won't float)

Pour the mix into a greased or non-stick 9 or 10" pie dish and bake for 60 minutes. Let it cool 10-20 minutes before cutting, or the custard will be too fragile to cut neatly. When you cut it, you will find the flour has sunk to the bottom, along with some fat and egg, and made a soft crust. The egg custard is sweet and nutmeg-y, and the coconut has browned on the top. It's delicious while still warm, but if you put the rest in the fridge it will firm up quite a lot and cut easily into slices. Tastes better when still hot, though.

Just look at that! All of five minutes' work and an hour's wait. Delicious and idiot-proof. My kind of cookery!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Coconut Custard Pie

Post by Sam »

Any preference between the olive oil or butter? I am thinking butter for the flavor profile.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Butter would be fine, and is actually in the original recipe. I just find oil easier to work with.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

In your ingredient list I don't see mention of flour. How much flour is used?
Best regards,

Basil
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:12 pm... Here is a completely easy and simple cheat, that makes a custard pie with ingredients all mixed together that automagically separate in the dish into a soft crust, a custard filling and a toasted coconut top. ...
In our house we know it as "Impossible Pie", because of the automagical crusts.
I gather the original (?) recipe used Bisquick®, but we've always used a regular flour recipe, of which there are an abundance on the interwebs.
It is indeed tasty, and is just as good the next day. =P~

P.S. You can substitute an equal volume of Splenda (= Sucralose) for the sugar if you want to dial the carbs back somewhat.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

pausted wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 am In your ingredient list I don't see mention of flour. How much flour is used?
Well spotted - I fixed it. Half a cup white flour, I used bread flour but all-purpose ought to do just as well.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Every time I check in on this thread I can't help but keep hearing that Led Zeppelin song in my head.

Chris