The Turkey Thread

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
churchilllafemme

The Turkey Thread

Post by churchilllafemme »

Well, I didn't manage to get an image of it before it was carved, but we had a roast turkey this evening. Yes, earlier than Thanksgiving, but it was on sale at the supermarket for 49 cents/lb., and we were afraid they all would be gone if we waited until the holiday. So tonight we had the drumsticks, with some stuffing, mashed orange juice sweet potatoes with walnuts, and rolls. Some of the white meat is going into lunch sandwiches over the next couple days. The rest of the turkey will go in the freezer until Thanksgiving Day. I'll try to take some pictures before it's all gone.
_______
John
ShadowsDad

Re: The Turkey Thread

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yup, it's that time of year.

We pretty much only buy turkey at this time of year so the flavor makes the holiday time special for me.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sounds wonderful! We love turkey and eat it quite often.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's on my grocery store list the wife created for me this evening. Along with all of those other wonderful trimmings to be created next week.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It's going to be an interesting Thanksgiving Day meal for us. I'm still in ketosis so there are major substitutions I'm going to need to make. Can't thicken the gravy with roux due to the flour. So I'm going to practice with pot roast gravy. My first try is going to be using xanthan gum. I tried the mouth feel on a throw away item today and it wasn't terrible. But if we don't like it I have 2 other thickeners I can get here in a day.

Sugar in the homemade cranberry sauce is no problem. I'll just sub' xylitol, erythritol (sp?), or monk fruit extract. The berries themselves aren't much of a problem (4 grams carbs for 1/2 cup of fresh berries) but the orange I use is, so I'll just use the zest of one or 2 oranges and not the flesh.

Bread for the dressing is a problem, but I'll just use some carbquik. The rest of the dressing is mostly veg' and sausage so no problem there.

The pumpkin pie was substituted for pumpkin pudding years ago, so no pie crust carbs, and will get the same sugar substitution. The pumpkin is a problem but there's no dodging it. So I'll just have a tiny bit.

I'll make yeast rolls for the wife, and I can have 1/2 of one, no more. Or I can make a drop carbquik biscuit for myself.

By choice I no longer drink (I stopped overnight on Aug 28th), but I might have a small scotch. We'll see about that. I might have much less than a small scotch since the first sip is where the flavor is and that's all I really want. Normally we buy a bottle of champagne, but that's definitely not going to happen for me and it's too much for the wife to drink on her own.

I think it'll all work. The gravy is the big experiment and I have time to get that figured out. If I can't we'll have jus instead of gravy. But I really want gravy for the dressing.

Edit: I made a pot roast today and had intended using it to test out how to make carbless gravy. I like to use a dark roux and the result was nothing like that, but it is definitely something that is recognizable as gravy without being slimy. I used xanthan gum and any onions that were in the jus got blended to also lend body to the gravy.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I forgot the oyster dressing for today! Oh well...
_______
John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I never had oyster dressing. No way my wife would ever eat it, but I'd absolutely be up for it.

FWIW, the low carb dinner was pronounced delicious by the wife (I thought so too). The experimenting over the past few months paid off. I have a long way to go to get to where I want to be though.
Brian