Cosmic Crisp

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
churchilllafemme

Cosmic Crisp

Post by churchilllafemme »

Well, after all the hype for the newly introduced local apple, the Cosmic Crisp, I just had to get one to try. It is the product of 20 years of research, a cross between a Honeycrisp and an Enterprise. It is supposed to be extremely sweet, to be slow to brown when cut, and to stand up well to the rigors of baking. Stay tuned for the taste report...

Addendum: I had a remaining half of a Honeycrisp today, so I'll have a basis for comparison.

_______
John
John Rose

Re: Cosmic Crisp

Post by John Rose »

I gather that the Cosmic Crisp was named for the appearance of its skin.

"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
churchilllafemme

Well, for me the hype turned out to be just that. The apple is good but not spectacular. It has a nice combination of tartness and sweetness, and it is crisp and juicy. It's no sweeter nor any better than a Honeycrisp.
_______
John
churchilllafemme

I think this apple may be significantly better for baking. My wife is going to use the remaining half of it to make a small batch of apple cupcakes.
_______
John
churchilllafemme

Well, I got a Gala apple and a Fuji apple from the store and did an unblinded side-by-side taste test with the Cosmic Crisp, and I've had to revise my opinion. I think now that the Cosmic Crisp is just as sweet as either the Gala or the Fuji, has slightly more robust flavor than both, and is just a bit juicier. Whether or not it is worth its extra cost is another question. Keep in mind, these are the impressions of somewhat abused 71-year-old taste buds.

Gala (on the left) and Fuji.
_______
John
churchilllafemme

Well, the remainder of the apples went into a crisp, which just came out of the oven. We'll have some in a little while with caramel sauce and whipped cream.
_______
John