Making Hummus

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Making Hummus

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, from okara and not from chickpeas (the man has no shame!) Nothing to stop you using chickpeas here, but I'm trying not to waste the okara which is a byproduct of making soy milk. You need:
1 batch (1¾ cups) okara, well drained
3 TBSP tahini sauce
3 TBSP lemon juice
3 TBSP water
1 tsp ground cumin
¾ tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder, or two fresh cloves

Blitz it all in a powerful blender/liquidiser. I chose not to use the food processor as the okara could do with a little grinding to become smooth rather than flaky/gritty. add more spice as desired for taste, and of course you may choose to make a flavoured version with chilli powder, or dill or whatever. (I'm thinking a Cajun version would be good (equal parts ground cumin, ground coriander and paprika)).

Oh, if you can't buy tahini, it's easy to make. Just buy a packet of sesame seeds from the baking aisle. Toast them in a dry non-stick frying pan on high heat till about half of them have gone brown, stirring all the while. Blitz them in your spice grinder. Add olive oil till consistency is right. It's just toasted sesame in oil, so you can't go wrong.

I have many bottles in the freezer of home made pesto and bruschetta, so tomorrow supper will be some ciabatta rolls with hummus, pesto and bruschetta. Yum!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Making Hummus

Post by Pauldog »

At first, I misread it as "okra," which would be very weird. But if you don't mash them up, using okra instead of beans might make this work as a side dish, rather than as a dip. Or lentils.

Or use Indian spices instead of the spices (and lemon juice) mentioned above, either your own mixture or garam masala. This would work with either beans or okra.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Making Hummus

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you've got okra, I'd suggest saving it for gumbo!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace