Hoppin' John

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Rufus

Re: Hoppin' John

Post by Rufus »

Gene wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:44 pm
brothers wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:03 pm When I get the chance, which isn't nearly often enough, in the great state of Louisiana I always try to find a big ol' plate of crawfish etoufee.
And yes, some's better'n others! Gotta check 'em all out. Tabasco is mandatory.
My favorite place in New Orleans is Bon Ton Cafe. They do great crawfish, to be sure, but my favorite is their bread pudding. It comes essentially afloat in a lovely bourbon/butter sauce that is amazing! Been in the same location, just off the Quarter, since the 1930's.
I’d forgotten about Bon Ton. Another worthwhile eatery.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Because of the Covid disaster, we haven't gone anywhere for at least a year, and we're really ready for something whenever the time comes, hopefully in the near future. Most likely, we'd make the trip through Texas and end up in southern Louisiana visiting relatives. That will be a perfect occasion for us to run down to NO for some R&R and great food. Thanks for the suggestions!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Haln

Post by Haln »

Delicious!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Hoppin’ John has become one of our staples: we have it for dinner about once a week. Sometimes we substitute Naan bread for rice and black beans for black eyed peas. Even SWMBO raves about it.
Bryan