A Cook's Diary

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

Re: A Cook's Diary

Post by brothers »

Looks like a recipe I want to try soon.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I love saag, but I’m not sure I want to make it myself. But if I’m at a loose end anytime soon I might just give it a try.
Last edited by Rufus on Mon May 04, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Two cooking jobs today - I made another three 7"x3" fake bolognas out of okara, which are now in the freezer. And to go with the remaining saag aloo, I made puri. Puri are those puffed up hollow Indian flatbreads that look like bloated flying saucers.

To make four puri:
1 cup flour (half wholewheat and half white is fine)
1 tsp oil
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Cold water, ¼ cup plus 2 TBSP
Optional flavour: 1 tsp whole cumin seeds

Place flour in mixing bowl, add salt and baking powder. Mix well, then add oil and mix with fingertips till oil is evenly distributed and no lumps remain. Start adding water in dribbles, mixing with fingers. You must not add too much, and can stop when the dough will stick together in a single ball. We need quite a firm dough, not soft. Cover and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Knead for five minutes until elastic. Divide dough into four and roll into balls between your palms. Flatten the balls into disks. Place them on an UN-floured surface and use a rolling pin (a chapati pin is definitely easiest here).
Chapati pin.jpeg
Chapati pin.jpeg (62.72 KiB) Viewed 10442 times
Do not add extra flour unless your pin sticks to the dough, in which case just rub a little flour onto the pin. Extra flour will burn when you fry them, and coat subsequent puri with black specks. Roll them all out while a frying pan with ½" of oil heats up. When oil is getting a little smoky add one to the pan and let it sizzle for a minute and watch as it puffs up. Keep checking the underside as they go brown quickly and we need only a little browning, then flip it over and do the second side. When done place on kitchen paper to drain while you do the next. Best served hot, or can be rewarmed in a toaster oven if being made in advance. These ones aren't mine (which have been eaten!)

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thicken thighs on the grill, salted, peppered and garliced ( or is it garlic'd?? :) )

basmati rice and a garden salad dressed with oil, salt and balsamic.

off topic somewhat, but for rice fans that dont already own one, a zojirushi rice cooker is a must have

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have a Zojirushi rice cooker (NS-TSC10, as it is known to its friends), and find it reliable but slow. It takes an hour to do white rice, longer for brown. Not sure why, as my bog standard old rice cooker took 15 minutes. However, it keeps it warm when cooking is complete and is said to be capable of doing other clever things like making porridge and cakes. I have other better ways for making those things. The one thing that is really neat is to put in short grain rice, fill to the appropriate mark with whole milk rather than water, and add a couple of TBSP sugar. Close up, switch on and open it at 40 minutes, NOT when finished. I will not be responsible for your washing up if you leave it the whole time. Take out the pan, place on stove, add a bit more milk (just enough to make it a thick creamy consistency, not solid, nor awash in milk. I hate to say it, but aim for the kind of thing you see with tinned rice pudding) and simmer just a few more minutes. Use your judgement as to when rice is at right texture and whether sweetness needs adjusting. You just made an excellent rice pudding that is far creamier and more evenly cooked than the traditional bake it in the oven method! Yes you can be a pervert and put in raisins (aka Spotted Dog), nutmeg, vanilla or what-have-you, but the plain is best for me. Long grain rice will work, but tends to remain as separate grains rather than smushing together. Sticky rice actually works well, but eat it all the first night - if you save some to reheat tomorrow it will go very gelatinous. I've never tried a brown rice pudding and doubt if it's a good idea.

I bought the rice cooker as I was so impressed with the Zojirushi (BBCC-X20) bread machine. Now that is a marvel that puts other bread machines to shame. I've had it about ten years, use it a couple of times a week, and have only had to buy new paddles when the old ones wore off their Teflon. It has easily paid for itself and I love it!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

On the rice cook time, the 60 minutes has never bothered me probably because i havent had anything to compare it to other than stove top. On another note, im making the spinach/saag dish tonight if my shopping spree goes according to plan. :)

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We use white basmati rice primarily. We cook it on the stovetop as follows: soak in cold water for 30 minutes; drain and rinse; in a large sauce pan add 2 measures of cold water to 1 measure of rice; bring to a boil, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until water is absorbed; remove from heat; stand covered for 5 minutes; lightly fluff; serve. Works like a charm every time. See no need for a dedicated rice cooker.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Quite right, Bryan - I never used a rice cooker until I came to Canada. The only advantage comes if you don't notice the moment when the rice has absorbed all the water in the pan, and then it begins to burn. A rice cooker has a heat sensor under its pan, and as soon as the temp goes over 100ºC it switches to the 'keep warm' setting, so it can't dry out or burn the rice. Now that my cooking tends to be a bit more complex than it was when I moved in 1985, I'm glad to have the help!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

For reasons unknown, cumin seeds have become the new tp....every brand sold out! Lucky for me I remembered the international aisle and found some goya cumin powder. Anyway, other than the powder/seed cumin issue I followed the saag recipe Chris posted to a T. It is really, really, really tasty.

Served as a side with a sirloin

https://ibb.co/PZk11rK

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

My wife taught me to make rice by boiling the water in a pan on the stove, turning off the heat, adding the rice and letting it sit until the water's absorbed. It was/is on the same simplicity scale as boiling eggs. Some folks tend to over-think such things. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

fallingwickets wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:37 am For reasons unknown, cumin seeds have become the new tp....every brand sold out! Lucky for me I remembered the international aisle and found some goya cumin powder. Anyway, other than the powder/seed cumin issue I followed the saag recipe Chris posted to a T. It is really, really, really tasty.

Served as a side with a sirloin

https://ibb.co/PZk11rK

clive
My, that looks good! I think you need to FedEx me a portion for the recipe!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

brothers wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:44 am My wife taught me to make rice by boiling the water in a pan on the stove, turning off the heat, adding the rice and letting it sit until the water's absorbed. It was/is on the same simplicity scale as boiling eggs. Some folks tend to over-think such things. :D
Serious question: is there enough retained heat to cook the rice? If so, your wife ought to be awarded the culinary equivalent of a Nobel!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And the Boss has brought home some fresh sea trout. She wants it turned into jerky, which is fine as long as she's willing to wash up the dehydrator shelves afterwords - the mixture of soy sauce and maple syrup sets like glue on the perforated shelves.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:14 am
brothers wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:44 am My wife taught me to make rice by boiling the water in a pan on the stove, turning off the heat, adding the rice and letting it sit until the water's absorbed. It was/is on the same simplicity scale as boiling eggs. Some folks tend to over-think such things. :D
Serious question: is there enough retained heat to cook the rice? If so, your wife ought to be awarded the culinary equivalent of a Nobel!
Yes, but in fairness, there are several varieties of rice, some of which may require a period of cooking over heat.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

came down to myrtle beach, south carolina yesterday for a break from standing in lines everywhere one goes in new jersey. the sea and warmer weather help too :D :D . anyway, at the moment its all takeaways except for some toast and cheddar cheese for breakfast. ive promised myself that starting monday i will cook at home
have a great weekday gents

clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have a Stepdaughter In Asheville, North Carolina. Next time we go visit her hopefully we can pick her up and take her to a beach somewhere close. The choices are Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Hilton head or Charleston. I’m leaning toward Myrtle Beach
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Clive. I have discovered Kerrygold butter. I can not see myself going back to margarine or even Land o Lakes. They even have garlic Kerrygold

I need to eat better. Always eat too much. Always default to fast food for lunch. And fries. Got a Weber kettle grill. May have to get a Big Green Egg or Komodo Joe

Wife makes a pizza from Trader Joe crust I love. I make chicken piccata or creme brûlée. I love sour dough bread from starter but if I do it I will eat too much
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We’re going to give Hoppin’ John a try tonight.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Rufus wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:12 am We’re going to give Hoppin’ John a try tonight.
I made it again on Saturday, mostly so as to have some ready to heat up on Sunday. Had to save all cooking energy for making chocolate soufflé for our anniversary dessert. And I did - and they worked OK, rising nicely. Absolutely decadent with a glass of fizz.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:12 am We’re going to give Hoppin’ John a try tonight.
It was a great success: both my wife and I enjoyed it very much. We had the leftovers today at room temperature and without rice or any additions and they were even more tasty than when freshly cooked. I made it with canned black eyed peas and American-style (streaky) bacon, but next time I’ll make it with dried black eyed peas and a mix of streaky and Canadian bacon. Also, I will serve the rice on the side as we both thought the rice (Basmati) muted the taste a little bit. I think too that I may tinker a little with the spices and perhaps make it the day before serving it for dinner; I find that the intensity of the taste of most stews and chili increases when eaten the day after preparation. Nevertheless, it is a tasty and very enjoyable dish that is well worth the effort. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Chris.
Last edited by Rufus on Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan