Classic New Orleans Hurricane

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

Classic New Orleans Hurricane

Post by brothers »

When you have the opportunity to visit the French Quarter you'll probably experience a cocktail named The Hurricane (hopefully never a meteorological hurricane! :shock: )

Here's a recipe for creating a delicious Hurricane.
Ingredients:
1 cup light rum
1 cup dark rum
1 cup passion fruit juice or flavored beverage, whichever is easier to find
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup simple syrup
1/4 cup grenadine
Maraschino cherries and fresh orange slices for garnish
Instructions:
1. In a large container or bowl, mix all ingredients except for the cherries and orange slices.
2. Pour over ice into hurricane glasses - of course only if you have hurricane glasses. Any glass will do!
3. Garnish each glass with a cherry and/or orange slice before serving.
Notes:
Passion fruit products are generally hard to find. Welch's currently makes a Passion Fruit flavored drink that I've found at WalMart, and I've found pulverized passion fruit in the frozen foods section of Asian markets.

All credit goes to The Spruce Eats website for this delicious recipe.
The bar in New Orleans uses a patented flavored dry mix to which they add water and rum, to the best of my knowledge.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Re: Classic New Orleans Hurricane

Post by John Rose »

Stir clockwise if in southern hemisphere.
Stir counter-clockwise if in northern hemisphere.
:-k
Shake, don't stir, if it's for James Bond.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Reminds me of too many misspent evenings at Pat O’Brien’s, not to mention the headaches in the morning and having to call on a client.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

no offense, but when you need to mix more than two ingredients together to enjoy a drink it qualifies for BIG BABY :D :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:08 am no offense, but when you need to mix more than two ingredients together to enjoy a drink it qualifies for BIG BABY :D :D :D :D :D

clive
I agree! :D But --- when the SWMBO has invited her work friends and spouses over for a fun Mardi Gras party and assigns me the drink-making duties, guess what I do! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Rufus wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 am Reminds me of too many misspent evenings at Pat O’Brien’s, not to mention the headaches in the morning and having to call on a client.
Nice. We went to a Mardi Gras parade and got a Pat O'Brien's hurricane to go. Nice about the French Quarter, you can get to-go cups and walk around. Big plastic drink, 20 ozs easily, $10. And no skimping on the alcohol. Drank it, half-way through the parade, thirsty again. Went up the street to a bar to get one. Well, no comparison, not nearly as good. Just like there is Cafe Dumond for beighnets, or there is that other place near there that just pales in comparison
brothers

Post by brothers »

When things get normal I want to go down there.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Happily, we had occasion to revisit Baton Rouge and New Orleans last week and enjoyed every moment. Yuengling Lager, fried catfish, beignets and coffee at Cafe Dumond, Hurricanes at O'Brien's, and a visit to Doug's Seafood and Steaks in Baton Rouge for an awesome lunch consisting of crawfish pie, jambalaya and file gumbo. I may have gained a pound or two.

The wonderful Southern Hospitality is alive and well in Louisiana. Our hosts and companions were enjoying the visit just as much as we were. I was delighted when I was able to buy a quantity of the delicious dry mix that has always been used to make Hurricanes.
Gary