Judge Ware

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

Judge Ware

Post by brothers »

A few decades ago we attended an antiques auction at which I won a pair of heavy duty cooking pots at a very fair price. We've used them many times, especially the largest one. Through the years we've added two matching pots of the same brand. Yesterday afternoon we made a large pot of cabbage rolls in the largest pot. No telling how many cooks before us have used these wonderful old pots. I hope our successors and their offspring keep the old pots around for many more decades to come.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Re: Judge Ware

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, wonderful story. I hope you get many years of excellent service out of them.

I take it the title of this thread is the name of the brand: "Judge Ware"? Doing a google search for them seems like they are enamel covered cookware? Reminds me very much of some the pots my mother had - and had inherited from my grandmother.

Enjoy in good health and bon appetit!

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

for the modernist, le creuset?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:08 am for the modernist, le creuset?

clive
Way too heavy for my liking.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Love Le Creuset! They are heavy though.

We got a braiser and a dutch oven for our wedding 18 years ago and they get a ton of use despite being heavy.

In the last year I got one of those red laser thermometers that you take the temperature of the pot or pan your working with. The Le Creusets are dead on the same temperature no matter where you test the temperature. The All-Clads are close but not quite as uniform. Plus with stainless you have to have oil in it to get an accurate reading from one of those things, otherwise the laser just gets deflected and it's like 100 degrees off.

The pots my mother had that are like the one's Gary is mentioning were pretty darn light and as long as you didn't mistreat them the coating didn't crack and they were a pleasure to work with. I still remember washing them by hand in the sink when growing up.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

for sure but judge doesnt produce product any longer so where else to find enameled cast iron?
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Lodge still makes cast iron cookware, both with and without enamel. I bought one of their Dutch ovens earlier in the year and it's done a superb job handling everything from sourdough bread to baked beans.

(I have no financial interest in Lodge.)
Bill
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the lodge isnt light is it, Bill?

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:58 am
for sure but judge doesnt produce product any longer so where else to find enameled cast iron?
Cuisinart does.
Bryan