Blackstone grill

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Blackstone grill

Post by Sam »

Blackstone grill questions

I have a Weber grill, kettle version, for smoking and grilling. Just the wife and I, but sometimes, we do have family over for burgers or steak. Its the XL size so plenty of room on it for say 4 or 5 adults. If I went bigger, I'd get a Komodo Joe cooker (think Big Green Egg but $200 or so cheaper). Brother-n-law says I need the Blackstone. Says I would use it more since I do not have to worry about charcoal. I had a gas grill long ago but loved the smokiness that charcoal imparts. But admittedly, when I could grill, I sometimes don't. Lately been using an air fryer for chicken rather than grilling, or getting a roasted chicken at Costco for $4.99 rather than doing beer can chicken on the grill

So, what size Blackstone should I get? Does Costco carry them?

Wife likes the idea of smashburgers on it, rather than whipping out our cast iron skillet for the stove. BIL says he saw a cheap deal on Wayfare. Also, would love to do fried rice and hashbrowns. Any tips? Oh, and philly cheese steak.
How are steaks on it? I never do steaks other than on the grill by the way.

Other tips or pointers?
brothers

Re: Blackstone grill

Post by brothers »

Sam, Instinct tells me the XL Weber should be about as big as most guys need for everyday grilling. What's driving you to go bigger? My 42 year old Big Green Egg Hibachi, at about 18 inches across the round cooking grill, is still going strong, and when we have a big group dinner, I'm able to cook as many as 3 consecutive loads of whatever the main course calls for to get it all ready when the line forms, chicken, steaks, burgers, links, ribs, etc. I've done them all. I'd venture to guess I could do the same on an XL Weber. PS, I have no idea what a Blackstone grill even looks like! What would be your advantage with that one? As an average guy, when it comes down to it, and I make up my mind I want to buy something regardless whether I need it or not, then I buy the doggone thing! If you like the Blackstone or the other thing, then bounce it off the woman of the house, and if she doesn't appear to be interested in a negative way, then go get that grille and enjoy it! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The Blackstone is a griddle, more or less, but an outside gas one. Cook a lot of bacon and hashbrowns, simple clean up. Smashburgers are popular with the crust
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now I know what a Blackstone is. Our son has one of those big outdoor griddles. Uses it pretty often. Around these parts everybody eats a lot of grilled onions cooked with our smashed grilled hamburgers and also sliced and grilled jalapenos. If I had room for it out there next to my smoker I'd probably get one myself..
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the older i get the less stuff i want and also I realize that kitchen equipment already owned is more that sufficient for any 'order' :D :D The eye opening purchase was a few years ago: instant pot. total gigantic waste of money. Also, do michelin starred chefs use it? if answer is no, no purchase :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Clive, we had an insta pot and sold it. We do use our air fryer much more. Chicken wings, breaded chicken breasts, frys, etc.
Barry

Post by Barry »

There’s a new griddle that fits on top of the eyes of a stovetop I forget the name of it. I considered buying one but they are heavy and there’s the issue of the removing it because you can’t really cook pots on top of it. They sell a half’s size model thst covers two eyes but I think you need to use it length wise which is dumb if you ask me.
brothers

Post by brothers »

We have one of those stovetop grills that covers 2 burners. When the occasion calls for it, the results are always good.
Gary

BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I'm tempted to add a flat top grill such as the Blackstone. It would be great for breakfast (pancakes, bacon, eggs etc) and would also be great for Philly cheese steaks. For burgers and steak, I prefer the BGE. The lump charcoal definitely adds flavor.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil