Musgo Real soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
EL Alamein

Re: Musgo Real soap

Post by EL Alamein »

Tim, thanks for the review. I have always loved Musgo Real's scent but the cream would irritate me if I used it more than a shave or two. I still use those very old tubes now and then for a shave and it does smell wonderful. I even have a few tubes of the oldest formulation and they are wonderful smelling as well.

I have also followed the reports of the soap and I found the same as yourself so I never bought it.

I'll be watching your reports on it to determine if I want to try a cake of it.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I want to try some of this (thanks, Tim!!!)

Is there a readily telltale sign to look for between the old version and the new?

thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i looked at four sites. fendrihan and sn have different colour boxes, gc and amzn have the same colour box, but its nothing like the other two. This is the hassle of buying reformulated soaps etc.

clive
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

The Classic Scent Musgo Real shaving soap is still shown on the manufacturer’s (Claus Porto) website.
So it still seems to be available.

After years of believing the bad press, I had bought the hard shaving soap about 3 or 4 years ago and found that it was much better than the reviews made you believe.

Performance and scents of the entire Musgo Real range are nothing to complain about but I find their recent pricing strategy hard to stomach.
I doubt that I am the only one, and more than anything else it was probably the shocking price increases that drove away old customers and dried up sales so that Musgo Real eventually elected to drop the Lavender and Lime & Basil series.

It certainly wasn’t performance....

B
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the info
brothers

Post by brothers »

I bought the original MR soap as soon as it came out and it came from somewhere in Europe. Portugal maybe? That soap was so bad it was borderline fraud to sell something as shaving soap that was nothing but a rock (hyperbole of course, but it was as bad as the current Williams). I'm happy that the factory has obviously improved it, as you have verified. Meanwhile, I'm still not a customer.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i should have mine tomorrow....will post my opinion later in the week :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe this experience with this soap is an example of the effectiveness of customer complaints being persuasive when a company prematurely releases a product that is obviously defective.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

brothers wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:45 pm Maybe this experience with this soap is an example of the effectiveness of customer complaints being persuasive when a company prematurely releases a product that is obviously defective.
Gary, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

delayed the morning shave yesterday to await arrival of the musgo and will be using it again on friday with 'hard' water this time. will update then, but for now:

I like the shape of the puck. I think the dome makes it easier to load a brush. No comment on the scent, but the lathering was very, very nice and it suits my 'dry-style' preferences perfectly. if asked 'whats it similar too?" i wouldn't hesitate for a second to say MdC. With minimal soap on the brush,It lathers really fast, really thickly, razor has good slide and afterwards leaves the face feeling nice and soft. At $22'ish a puck i think its fair value and as of now, certainly takes away the need to spend $80 on MdC. Thursday or friday (im driving to SC tonight/tomorrow) will be the real test because for reasons unknown Ive been battling to get a good lather going with the water I have down in myrtle beach (btw, if any of you gents are down there and want to meet for a tea, coffee or beer drop a note) so if the musgo lathers as easily there as it does here in nj i'll be backing up the truck!!

clive
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Thanks for the info.
nav

Post by nav »

EL Alamein wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:59 pm Tim, thanks for the review. I have always loved Musgo Real's scent but the cream would irritate me if I used it more than a shave or two. I still use those very old tubes now and then for a shave and it does smell wonderful. I even have a few tubes of the oldest formulation and they are wonderful smelling as well.

I have also followed the reports of the soap and I found the same as yourself so I never bought it.

I'll be watching your reports on it to determine if I want to try a cake of it.

Chris
The MG soap I got in 2014 is fantastic! Lovely musgo scent with great lather.

I confirmed with the vendor before purchase that it's the reformulated version.

The scent, as lovely as it is, irritates my face slightly so that I can't use it consecutively. I thought I'd point this out for you since you had the issue with the cream.

I love the shape of the puck. I use the bottom side tip keep the logo intact on top (I'm very finicky with my hard soaps).
brothers

Post by brothers »

- Edited -
Last edited by brothers on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

This is good news.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

off topic somewhat, but went to fendrihan for a truck backup (jeff is rich enough!!) and they would only let me buy one puck......stingy bastdrds lololol

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

They must be swamped! (Appears to be in stock at Amazon right now for the same price. Same good ingredients???)
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary, i'll let you know (performance...box is in sc) after the f purchase arrives as the first one was an amzn purchase

clive
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Let the hoarding begin! :)

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

update: the soaps perform the same: easy to make nice and thick lather! In addition, both sources are selling the same soap per the ingredient list.

https://postimg.cc/ykT2qYrx

clive

p,s, a BIg thanks for Tim's enabling :D :D