Williams Mug Shaving Soap is still horrible

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
FireDragon76

Re: Williams Mug Shaving Soap is still horrible

Post by FireDragon76 »

That's been my experience as well. If you use it daily such that it never dries out... it's not a problem to lather Williams. It's actually one of the best shaving soap values out there.

Plus it foams in hard water... not many soaps can easily do that.

Williams was my Sunday morning soap for several years. I would just shave a few times week- electric during the week if I needed it, and a wet shave on Sunday mornings before church.
dosco

Post by dosco »

Sorry for the thread necromancy ... I can't find Williams anymore. I used to be able to buy at Wegmans and CVS. Not anymore.

:(

-Dave
brothers

Post by brothers »

A week ago I saw it on the shelf
at Homeland. No telling how long it's been there.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

So Wegmans appears to carry Williams on a regular basis (at least for now).

My last post indicated there was some sort of interruption, not sure what was going on there.

Anyhow ... yes, it's not great for shaving necessarily (although I use it occasionally for that purpose).

I've been using it as shower soap. I like the smell ... what can I say??

Best-
Dave
Gene

Post by Gene »

Well, I like the scent, too ... a lot! And I always liked how my face felt after I shaved with it. Never liked its lathering capabilities, though.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

beyboo wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:37 am Alas Williams Mug shave Soap has finally bit the dust

Williams still has a web page for the soap, with a list of stores and a phone number:
https://www.williamsmugsoap.com/#where-to-buy

A quick check at eBay, Amazon, and Walmart online shows prices ranging from $7 to about $15, plus shipping, which means I might as well get something like MWF instead if I'm going to spend that kind of money.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Pauldog wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:08 pm
beyboo wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:37 am
Alas Williams Mug shave Soap has finally bit the dust
A quick check at eBay, Amazon, and Walmart online shows prices ranging from $7 to about $15, plus shipping, which means I might as well get something like MWF instead if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

Absolutely.

Or, to paraphrase Sir Winston Churchill: Never was so much paid by so many for so little. :P

I am looking forward to the day when debates about the merits of this substandard product finally come to end…
Yes, I can shave with it, but why would I want to?

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

John Rose wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:36 pm Nah. Williams is great. Sure, it might collapse on your face, but all you need is a thin slick film anyway.
I prefer it in a "stickified" form, and face-lather with it.
<snip>
Strangely, I find John has hit on the best way to use Williams, if you have some left. As you likely know from my complaining and moaning, I have moved house. I now live in an unfinished construction zone (and I could probably work in the quote that ends with "where there's both, there's hell")

At best I get to shave once or twice a week, and my tools are either the brass Colonial General or a Philips electric. The only soap that comes to hand is either Williams or Wood's. However, the silver lining is that a wetted longish stubble strips a lot of soap off the Williams puck, and with some fingerwork makes a decent creamy lather. We aren't talking brush lather, just brushless cream. It works amazingly well, and compensates me for knowing all those razors, soaps and brushes are so close but hidden in the mountain of boxes in the attic.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Any port in a storm is wisdom well-learned, Chris. There's no better shaving partner than the General no matter the stormy sky. Around these parts we have a colloquialism "run what you brung", or dance with the girl you brought to the party. If all we have is Williams, then we kick back and make it work. Thanks for the examples of innovation and strength you and your family represent! Never look back! Here's hoping you have a great day today and every day and enjoy your shaves!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for the examples of innovation and strength you and your family represent! Never look back! Here's hoping you have a great day today and every day and enjoy your shaves!
100000000000264 thumbs up on the sentiment

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum