The end of Tabac original formulation

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
CMur12

Re: The end of Tabac original formulation

Post by CMur12 »

Hopefully, Tim (TRBeck) will weigh in on this one.

As I recall, Tim did quite a bit of research and experimentation in his soap-making, and he came to the conclusion that stearic acid near the top of the ingredients list contributed more to a good shaving lather than did tallow on its own.

As I recall, Tim made some especially good shaving soap in this way with sustainably sourced palm oil.

- Murray
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Tallow rules for me.
If you can find the Franklin Barbershop soap from the 1970s on eBay for around $20.00 or so, get one and try it. Never mind the scent, since it has long since dissipated, I have tried several pucks and the lather is still #1.
Regards, chaps
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:24 pm Hopefully, Tim (TRBeck) will weigh in on this one.

As I recall, Tim did quite a bit of research and experimentation in his soap-making, and he came to the conclusion that stearic acid near the top of the ingredients list contributed more to a good shaving lather than did tallow on its own.

As I recall, Tim made some especially good shaving soap in this way with sustainably sourced palm oil.

- Murray
Yes he did. He's devoted a lot of time and thought to the making of soap. Perhaps someone somewhere has published a scholarly acceptable treatise on the science of shaving soap lather and the involvement or absence of certain ingredients, or alternately, to health issues related specifically to the absence or presence of tallow or rendered beef fat being applied on occasion to small areas of the surface of human skin over time. That was a long sentence, wasn't it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I would really be surprised if there is any health issue related to the use of tallow in soap. If we can eat beef, I can't imagine that smearing the fat on our skins would be in any way harmful, unless the tallow in question is rancid or otherwise compromised.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:31 pm Gary, I would really be surprised if there is any health issue related to the use of tallow in soap. If we can eat beef, I can't imagine that smearing the fat on our skins would be in any way harmful, unless the tallow in question is rancid or otherwise compromised.

- Murray
You've hit the nail on the head Murray. Over the years I've adopted a phrase that seems to sum up certain situations: Stupidity is a cruel master! Quite often used by me as an inward criticism of my own lapses of common sense and/or discernment. But sometimes used to describe certain government activity.
Thumbs up emoji.jpg
Thumbs up emoji.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 1816 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

CMur12 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:31 pm Gary, I would really be surprised if there is any health issue related to the use of tallow in soap. If we can eat beef, I can't imagine that smearing the fat on our skins would be in any way harmful, unless the tallow in question is rancid or otherwise compromised.

- Murray

Well, there was a time when people were concerned about health issues from beef and beef tallow because of Mad Cow Disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy or BSE). Cross border trade in beef and beef products like tallow started to be more closely regulated, not only in the EU, but many other countries, including the US.

By the time these restrictions had eased, the number of people who tried to avoid animal products in general had grown and the Haslinger owner told me in December 2017 that their move to a non-tallow formula was driven by consumer requests kore than anything else.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

brothers wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:56 pmNo tallow.
No tallow and terrible!
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil