Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
desmoface

Re: Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

Post by desmoface »

Hi Tim, that's very kind of you. I'm confident it will show up, it's probably sitting in customs and they'll eventually get sick of looking at it, LOL.
TRBeck wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:01 am
If it doesn't show up, let me know via PM. I can send you one.

Tim
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Did this eventually come and if so what are your thoughts?

I'm so intrigued I've ordered a cake myself. I've been using my old Culmak cake for the last few shaves in anticipation. That one is really nice as it's the old potassium stearate formula - now reformulated to something I know not what.

I'm really liking it though, performs a lot like the old Floris formulations of 89.

Chris
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Chris,

It did finally show up, took about 2 months, LOL. It’s good, it lathers great, I still rate the old formula/tallow Tabac higher. I’d say that the Salters is on par with Mitchell’s Woolfat, but it’s easier to lather. Can’t argue with the price, though.

As a side note, I recently tried Cella Red from the Brick and it was surprisingly good.

Steve
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hi Steve,

Thanks! I'm glad that you got it and are enjoying it. Makes me look forward to trying mine. And I'll have my chance as it has just arrived.

I have to say I've really been enjoying that old formula Culmak, just a superb lather with tons of slickness. And one thing I've noticed is that it shaves ever so closer it seems than other soaps. I wonder if that has anything to do with the petrolatum in these?

Well, the Salter's has it too so I'll give that whirl and see if I notice the same thing with it.

Chris
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Excellent, hope you enjoy it.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hi All,

I haven't tried the Salter's soap yet but intend to tomorrow. At the same time I ordered the Salter's I ordered the T&H Luxury soap to compare it to. If you recall this was one of those soaps that were all the same many years ago: T&H, Trumper's Officer and Gentleman, John Lewis, Vulfix, Taylor's, etc. The Salter's was a part of that list too but since has reformulated. And I had a cake of the T&H years ago and used it a while in a sparing way because it would periodically irritate me.

Well the T&H soap has definitely changed in scent from those days of yore. Remember, all these soaps smelled the same or nearly the same with that wonderful light lavender clean scent, it varied little from brand to brand.

This current cake of T&H is now scented with a more modern affair - very citrusy in almost a perfume kind of way. I'm on the fence about it myself, definitely not lavender. Haven't tried it yet and will probably need to warm up to the scent but eventually I'll give it a whirl.

I am kind of disappointed though that it doesn't smell anything like it used to. I was hoping it still had the same clean scent.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Afternoon All,

I tried the Salter's soap today and it is indeed a very good soap. Made a thick, slick lather rather easily even in the hard water here. Gave a wonderful shave and equals the performance of soaps twice it's price. I'll keep going with it to see it's performance over time.

An interesting little tidbit is that the Salter soap fits perfectly in the T&H shaving soap bowl.

Chris
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Chris,

Weird, I've been trying to reply to this thread and all of a sudden I can't on any of my apple products. Had to login on my work PC. Anyway, I shaved with the Cyril Salter Soap lastnight and it was really good. I was using a new razor, a Karve Overlander, which I'm still getting used to, and the Salter's really did a great job. I actually have 2 pucks so I should be set for awhile. It fits perfectly in a AOS wood soap bowl as well. I would definitely buy it again once I run low.

I'd say for the money, it's hard to beat.