Dr. Selby's Lavender Luxury soap ingredients

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Dr. Selby's Lavender Luxury soap ingredients

Post by brothers »

A few years ago when Dr. Selby's soap was originally sold, the ingredient list was different than the ingredient list most recently released for sale.

New Ingredients: Stearic acid, Potassium hydroxide, Coconut oil, Sodium hydroxide, Glycerin, Fragrance, CI45350, CI42051, CI15985, CI 47005, Linalool, Limonene, Coumarin, Geraniol, Benzyl alcohol, Benzyl benzoate.

Former Ingredients: Stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, fragrance. CI45350, CI42015, CI47005.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Dr. Selby's Lavender Luxury soap ingredients

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gary -

I bought some of the new product, though I haven't tried it yet.

The main ingredients appear to be unchanged, though I have no idea what those identified by numbers are, as one has been added. The additional ingredients appear to be for scent, with a preservative at the end of the list.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Murray. We'll be eager to see your opinion of the performance and fragrance of the new Dr Selby's soap when you get a chance to lather it up and shave with it. As you say, it looks like they are keeping the basic ingredients that was a very nice all-around lathering soap. Maybe they are making some slight modifications to slightly address fragrances and/or skin-care properties. Just my guess. Hopefully someone who knows about making shaving soap will comment about this issue.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, Hopefully Tim sees this and chimes in, I think he's pretty knowledgeable about these things.

My own gut feeling is that they are being made to fess up about the scenting ingredients but it would be nice to see someone confirm.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

EL Alamein wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:06 pm Gary, Hopefully Tim sees this and chimes in, I think he's pretty knowledgeable about these things.

My own gut feeling is that they are being made to fess up about the scenting ingredients but it would be nice to see someone confirm.

Chris
Chris, that makes sense. Same great product with an updated ingredient list.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Those extra ingredients are one additional colorant listing (CI 15985, i.e., FD&C yellow #6) and then a bunch of scent components that are now required to be listed separately due to update IFRA/EU regulations. Same formula, new labeling requirements.

All of the CI numbered ingredients are colorants: three different yellow colorants and one blue. They've really worked to dial in that soap's specific hue, apparently.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I used this soap today for the first time. Wow! The lather is remarkably thick and slick. The scent is reminiscent of old-style fougeres, although clearly not as complex as a proper cologne. I thoroughly enjoyed my shave today and will use this soap until my next purchase arrives (I happened upon what I believe to be two pucks of a discontinued favorite...more on that next week sometime, I expect). Easily in the top tier of shave soaps I've encountered.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau