Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Post by Squire »

I thought it was patchouli but don't have the information in front of me.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:a question on the "sandalwood" of the scent, how does it compare to lea classic cream?
Nic, cedarwood dominates, but I don't detect the sandalwood fragrance. I haven't tried Lea Classic cream, so I'm not any help to you in that regard either.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the lea classic cream always seemed to vary so much from use to use. I think its why im starting to like proraso blue, its the same every time.
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is a happy day because the Castle Forbes C&S shaving cream will be my product of choice for the next 6 weeks. As Willie Nelson says, I'm still crazy (about the fragrance) after all these years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

The C&S soap is pretty firm. Makes it possible to load the brush. I've left the lid off 24/7 and it's ideal now. I'm going to be using it for about 4 or 5 more weeks before I change to the next soap.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I would like to add a comment regarding the C&S. The performance is good but the fragrance seems very weak. Not nearly as dynamic as my first tub several years ago. I'm hoping this is limited to just this individual tub. Of course it may be a result of my intentionally leaving the lid off for the intended result of hardening the cream so I can load the brush directly on the surface. Regardless, I'm sticking to my protocol.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

As my halfway point has been reached with about 3 weeks remaining with the lid off the tub of Cedarwood I am surprised this morning. The ever-fading scent has become just the same as my 5 year old homemade soap to which I added cedarwood essential oil way back then. However the Castle Forbes is about 50 percent less in strength. Nice but as weak as a kitten. Nothing even close to the first and second tubs that I fell in love with several years ago.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm about 1/3 through my most recently opened tub of CF C&S cream. It'll be the third complete tub I've used up. I load the brush directly on the cream (hardened somewhat by leaving the lid off the jar intentionally) for about 8 to 10 seconds with a little bit of water, about 1.5 to 2 TBSP. Makes a nice rich slick lather.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Only 7 days left with the Castle Forbes. Next up will be the Cyril Salter's hard tallow soap.
Gary