Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Post by brothers »

It's been a full week since my tub of Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood shaving cream arrived. If you recall, I was disappointed by the absence of many mentions of Castle Forbes' rendering of Sandalwood in the recent topic asking everyone tio mention their favorite Sandalwood shaving cream. A few days earlier, I had a good feeling about it, and ordered it without having experienced the fragrance first hand. The last I posted about it was that I was going to use it for a week then report back here, and here we are.

Castle Forbes shaving creams are Castle Forbes, and that is a very very good thing to be. I won't rehash all the highly complimentary attributes, which are true. I already knew that before I placed my order. I've used the CF Lavender, and I've read many glowing remarks about the Lime.

My reasoning in choosing the C and S fragrance then becomes obvious. Forbes isn't going to make a mistake on any of its fragrances, so with that comfort level of a guarantee of an outstanding product to shave with, I wanted something familiar, yet unfamiliar, and I happily made my decision to purchase the C & S.

How to describe the fragrance? This has been my objective, and my great challenge. I shave every day, sometimes more often as a test shave of a newly honed straight razor. As a result, I've used the C & S a number of times this past week. (Regardless, today MWF got the nod because it was supposed to have been my 7 day rotation candidate this week, and I've really been missing it. It was a good shave!)

When using the C & S, and when just passing by for a habitual deep inhalation of the fragrance, I've found it to be something that I crave, and I don't choose that word "for lack of a better term" as we sometimes say, when that phrase is true.

No, in my case, there's not a better term to describe my craving for Castle Forbes C & S. I have to have it. I can't get enough of it. I'm hooked on it. I need it. I am infatuated with it. There's some genetic chemical dependence in my body chemistry, and it so happens that the ying for my genetic yang happens to be my new soulmate of shaving creams, Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood.

However, I still can't think of a descriptive word of the actual fragrance, except the extremely obvious fact that it smells just like aromatic cedar wood. There's gotta be something else in there, I just don't know what, but frankly, I don't care.
Last edited by brothers on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Good report, Gary. For some reason, I had a feeling that you would like it. I too appreciate its dry, woody character. Fresh from the tub it might be a little bland, but it really opens up nicely with some warm water and a brush.
Lynn
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

In my view, that something else is peanut butter, and there's more of it than there is either sandalwood or cedar in my tub. I was very disappointed by its scent. As a cream it functions well enough, though not in the first rank. Fortunately, these are subjective matters, and I hope enough people like it to keep CF happy and financially healthy. After all, I only have a stock of three and a half bottles of the Pre-Shave that I use as an aftershave balm! :wink:
If you pay the postage, I'll send you my 2/3 tub of CF C&S.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drumana

Post by drumana »

The quality of Castle Forbes Cedar & Sandalwood shave cream is superb. THE densest and creamiest lather I've come across in a cream - great shave - all that... But I don't care for the fragrance - and I like both cedar and sandalwood... it smells kinda funky to me.
-Andrew-
BarryR

Post by BarryR »

drumana wrote:The quality of Castle Forbes Cedar & Sandalwood shave cream is superb. THE densest and creamiest lather I've come across in a cream - great shave - all that... But I don't care for the fragrance - and I like both cedar and sandalwood... it smells kinda funky to me.
+1
How about peanut butter meets damp (stale) wood (by the way, that would be stale peanut butter).
brothers

Post by brothers »

Imagine my consternation and humiliation at being physically and psychologically addicted to the amazing and perplexing fragrance of this terrible substance. I need help. :cry:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
PT

Post by PT »

I sure wish I could try it! I love the lime and was just thinking about this scent and that it might make a good winter scent.
diggity

Post by diggity »

What about Penhaligon's Opus 1870 shaving cream? I haven't smelt it, but I read on basenotes that it had a citrusy cedarwood scent.
Nathan
brothers

Re: Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:It's been a full week since my tub of Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood shaving cream arrived. If you recall, I was disappointed by the absence of many mentions of Castle Forbes' rendering of Sandalwood in the recent topic asking everyone tio mention their favorite Sandalwood shaving cream. A few days earlier, I had a good feeling about it, and ordered it without having experienced the fragrance first hand. The last I posted about it was that I was going to use it for a week then report back here, and here we are.

Castle Forbes shaving creams are Castle Forbes, and that is a very very good thing to be. I won't rehash all the highly complimentary attributes, which are true. I already knew that before I placed my order. I've used the CF Lavender, and I've read many glowing remarks about the Lime.

My reasoning in choosing the C and S fragrance then becomes obvious. Forbes isn't going to make a mistake on any of its fragrances, so with that comfort level of a guarantee of an outstanding product to shave with, I wanted something familiar, yet unfamiliar, and I happily made my decision to purchase the C & S.

How to describe the fragrance? This has been my objective, and my great challenge. I shave every day, sometimes more often as a test shave of a newly honed straight razor. As a result, I've used the C & S a number of times this past week. (Regardless, today MWF got the nod because it was supposed to have been my 7 day rotation candidate this week, and I've really been missing it. It was a good shave!)

When using the C & S, and when just passing by for a habitual deep inhalation of the fragrance, I've found it to be something that I crave, and I don't choose that word "for lack of a better term" as we sometimes say, when that phrase is true.

No, in my case, there's not a better term to describe my craving for Castle Forbes C & S. I have to have it. I can't get enough of it. I'm hooked on it. I need it. I am infatuated with it. There's some genetic chemical dependence in my body chemistry, and it so happens that the ying for my genetic yang happens to be my new soulmate of shaving creams, Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood.

However, I still can't think of a descriptive word of the actual fragrance, except the extremely obvious fact that it smells just like aromatic cedar wood. There's gotta be something else in there, I just don't know what, but frankly, I don't care.
Just dropping by, 7 months after the fact, to say, I'm still just "crazy" about it, and I do use it as often as any other.
Gary

woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Gary...yep, it's nice stuff. Most folks dismiss it promptly when sniffing it directly from the tub. But...when you whip it up into a lather with some warm water, it opens up into a great dry woody fragrance.
Lynn
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gary,
Hope my tub of the concoction has given you pleasure!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, it has indeed. When I make a list, it always starts with "CF". =D>
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This is just to confirm my thorough and complete dedication to this shaving cream and fragrance. Though time has passed, my complete addiction to this wonderful stuff has never diminished. Even though I don't use it as often as one might imagine, nonetheless I'm still crazy about it. :wink:
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, I don't know how many times I have looked at Castle Forbes online but have never pulled the trigger. You are nudging me in that direction. I love quality creams and I must add CF at some point.
Best regards,

Basil
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Basil, yeah, Castle Forbes creams are really excellent. I find them right up there with the other English creams in their best years. Though I've never tried the scent mentioned as the topic of this thread I've used their Lavender and Limes creams and their scents are very pure and satisfying. Their scents are the biggest draw for me as performance is equal to the others I've mentioned.

You can't go wrong with Castle Forbes.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, the Lime is especially worth the price of admission.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Serendipity occurred as I was looking for the best brush for lathering this great cream. They're all good, but as with everything, some are better than others. After narrowing it down to badgers only, then to the less dense and the softest, and not too small or too large, the one that works best is my late Dad"s '40s -'50's Erskine brush, re-knotted by me about 3 years ago when I found it in my mom's attic. The knot is from The Golden Nib, Tony Penchetta, in Arizona. It's advertised as 62mm loft, 27mm, but my measurement comes out at 30mm x 63mm. Super Silvertip badger. The post-shave bloom is gigantic, not shown in this photo that was taken when I had just finished the restoration. He'd be proud to see it now, but even happier to be able to use it with the CF cream.
DSC07531.JPG
DSC07531.JPG (137.89 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
Last edited by brothers on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Re:

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:Gary,
Hope my tub of the concoction has given you pleasure!

Chris
Today was the day that the big Cedarwood tub ran out. Used it up completely. Performance and scent are unsurpassed.
Gary

BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I think that the mystery aroma is cumin. If you haven't got any in your pantry, the spice rack in your local supermarket will likely have it.

I find that the Musgo Real shaving cream (original scent, in the tube) has a very similar fragrance. I agree that C&S is simply marvelous stuff -- as good as any cream I've used, performance-wise. That fragrance is haunting and addictive, but it is certainly like no other product I've encountered called sandalwood!

As much as I'm pleased with this hidden gem of an aroma, I'll bet a lot of buyers are surprised by something far different than they expected.
disengage
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

a question on the "sandalwood" of the scent, how does it compare to lea classic cream?