Godrej Shaving Round Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Godrej Shaving Round Soap

Post by brothers »

Dirt cheap. Spotted on everybody's favorite internet auction site. The gentleman is asking $2.99 "buy it now" plus $2.35 shipping for a 50g puck in a plastic bowl with lid. I never heard of it. Has anybody?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Gary, I've not heard of the puck before, but perhaps you know that the Godrej Deluxe cream is highly regarded.

50g sounds pretty small to me.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Gary,

"Tommynick" and I have been using the soap off and on for a couple of months. It lathers like crazy and it's an absolute bargain. I used it this morning as a matter of fact. I saw that little puck lying there just begging to be used so I gave it a go. I think Tommy got it locally for about $2 a puck. It's small but fits nicely in the palm of your hand when face lathering. It's not got a high end scent to it but it lathers like a champ. You can't go wrong for the price.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

GA Russell wrote:Gary, I've not heard of the puck before, but perhaps you know that the Godrej Deluxe cream is highly regarded.

50g sounds pretty small to me.
+1

The cream is awsome..........
John
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

The Shaving Round is a great value. The scent is unspectacular and non-offensive, kind of old-fashioned and down to earth. The lather is abundant and lasting. I was lucky to get a couple of these from my Indian grocer friend in Atlantic City. Good stuff!
Rich
gman41

The cream in tube

Post by gman41 »

I know the thread is for soap, but has anyone tried the cream in a tube which I prefer over puck soap. They have two, one a cream, the other a foam. The soap is difficult to find over here.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, some of us don't have that problem."

Operator of www.shaveabuck.com
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

Hiya from India.

The http://www.godrej.com/GodrejNew/Templat ... difyGuest# band is one of the most esteemed and superior brands not just for shaving products, but for a range of other industries including aerospace.

In the Shaving space, they make shave creams with Glycerin and goodness of lanolin. They make some excellent and lasting lather. lime, menthol and the rich foam / deluxe with the old school cologne fragrance... These are the best value for money creams anywhere in the world.

The humble shave round (we get 3 for a dollar) is made for a specific lower income market segment in India. It is old fashioned scent, lathers quite well and though its a step behind its cream cousins, one of the excellent Glycerin based soaps out there. Do give it a try.

I have been reliably told by many that it is one up from Williams.
wayne06

Post by wayne06 »

I received a sample of the soap from the Johns at Shaving Essentials in my last order. Very old school scent, lathers and lasts very well. I got a very nice straight razor shave from it.

Regards,
Wayne
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

I would like to know what you gentlemen think about the Godrej soap when compared to Williams. I have heard varying opinions about Godrej being a step down or also a step up.

Can someone having enuf experience with both enlighten please ?
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

beyboo, my experience is that the Godrej Round is easier to use than Williams. It takes much less effort to get a thick, long lasting lather. Both soaps have unique old-time scents which I like.
Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Never tried the soap but the cream is good and also cheap.
Regards,
Squire
Tommynick

Post by Tommynick »

The Godrej lather really easy. The lather explodes off the puck. The scent is so so but for two or three bucks its a decent value. I use Williams on I like the scent better than the Godrej but it will take longer to get the lather.
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

Thanks Gentlemen for sharing. I have eyeing the Williams from the other side of the world. The Godrej is the Williams of India then I gather from the feedback here.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Godrej is a large company that makes all sorts of things, both consumer and industrial products. This is their shaving products website:
http://www.godrejshavingcream.com/
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

Pauldog wrote:Godrej is a large company that makes all sorts of things, both consumer and industrial products. This is their shaving products website:
http://www.godrejshavingcream.com/
Take a look at this to know the size of the company which makes the humble shave round !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9tE2vFO_l4
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

The Godrej soap round is very traditional-smelling, with a good and rich lather. A lot better than Williams, and it even gives better skincare.
JEFF
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

The shaving round was a real surprise to me - and like its cream counter-parts - it works really, really well - I'll have to look at the ingredients list tonight and see what's in it - it develops fine cracks after use - similar to MWF - so this makes me all the more curious...

Small size, combined with it's effectiveness makes it a perfect travel soap along with my Wee Scot and Merkur travel razor! It just has a bit of a weird blue colour...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

I really like the Godrej Shaving Round.

Generates a nice thick lather, and despite the small size of the puck, will likely still last about a month of everyday usage; I lathered on the puck for about two weeks straight, and the puck is still just slightly less than half used up.
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
m2setfree

Post by m2setfree »

Godrej soap for me is superior to Williams -- easier to lather and the lather doesn't "disappear" as the Williams sometimes does. My son brought the soap back for me from his last two trips to India! The first time it was the small puck in the plastic container. The second time it was a puck about twice as thick in a cardboard container. I put it in a small glass bowl and that one really lathers up nice because of its larger size.
Regards,
David
changabang

Post by changabang »

The puck has been offered by WCS for months now. Under 4 bucks, as I recall.
James Nicks