A new soap from an old friend

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
APC

A new soap from an old friend

Post by APC »

:D I was using a gift card on Amazon for some household stuff. I trolled the shaving stuff and, as a result, preordered a three pack of Van Der Hagen Luxury, Unscented Shave Soap scheduled for release on or about March 24, 2011. There is a scented version, but the scent isn't specified. The price is $9.36 plus s&h. Each cake is 4.5 ounces. This is not yet on the VDH web site. Having used all three VDH soaps, this should be interesting.
I love the smell of bay rum in the morning.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Wow! Sounds intriguing. Keep us posted.

Dave
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

The Van Der Hagen Deluxe was the first shaving soap I used, and is still one of my favorites. It is the only soap I've stockpiled, having 3 pucks in reserve.

I'm very curious about this Luxury soap. Please let us know how it performs.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Tom,
have you scouted the PX lately? VDH is now marketing a 2-sided shaving soap, it's translucent green on one side, and white on the other, and is sold with the idea that it doubles as a shave soap and a shower soap. I used 2 of these on my last trip overseas and loved them.

Worth a trip to look, especially if you like VDH soaps.

John P.
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

John, I haven't been in a PX/BX since my last trip to Afghanistan. Unfortunately, our little Guard base doesn't have one.

Anyway, I'm curious about this double sided soap. I may have to do some searching on the internet and see if I can find it.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Araner

Post by Araner »

Yes, it’s coming soon, a new look, a new product. Available March 24, 2011.

Van Der Hagen Men's Luxury Scented Soap

Van Der Hagen Men's Luxury, Unscented Soap

Looks like they’re trying to upscale their image. Probably a good idea.

Mike
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

JohnP wrote:Tom,
have you scouted the PX lately? VDH is now marketing a 2-sided shaving soap, it's translucent green on one side, and white on the other, and is sold with the idea that it doubles as a shave soap and a shower soap. I used 2 of these on my last trip overseas and loved them.

John P.
OK, I am intrigued by this double sided soap. How are you supposed to use it without wasting some of the opposite side. For example, if I'm showering with the bath soap side, how do I keep from washing away some of the shaving side. I would like to try the new VDR soaps coming out, but this version I think I will leave alone. If any of you do use it, let us know the outcome.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

You can see it here under Products -

http://www.vdhent.com/
Good shaving,

Gary
The Groom Room

Post by The Groom Room »

I'm very excited to see van der Hagen upscale their line a bit. We'll be getting our shipment of the new line, this week. Unfortunately, The Groom Room doesn't retail over the internet, or process mail orders... just walk-in retail only. but I'm certain VDH's new line will sell very well. Our wet shaving customers are anxiously awaiting the arrival of these new soaps and to find out about the new badger brush.

As soon as the new line arrives, I'll try and post a review of all the products here at SMF. I can't speak highly enough of how the van der Hagen company has treated us at The Groom Room, as we're not the huge mega-mart type retailer, and we don't purchase thousands of units at a time. We feel very fortunate that they have accepted The Groom Room as a retailer, especially as small as we are. They are definately helping us get the word out about wet shaving!

Anyway, the new line should arrive tomorrow
- Troy

"Look better, feel better... THINK BETTER."
The Groom Room
www.TheGroom-Room.com
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Racso_MS wrote:

John P.
OK, I am intrigued by this double sided soap. How are you supposed to use it without wasting some of the opposite side. For example, if I'm showering with the bath soap side, how do I keep from washing away some of the shaving side. I would like to try the new VDR soaps coming out, but this version I think I will leave alone. If any of you do use it, let us know the outcome.

Oscar,
I can only speak for my own experience, and I've never taken VDH as a replacement for that puck of Joris you've been hoarding away somewhere for those "special" occasions....to me it is just a good "using" soap.
The box implies you can use both sides for shaving, and for bathing, but to each his own as far as preference. I'm sure if you wished you could bathe with Trumper Rose as well.
It's basically a giant puck of glycerine soap, and its performance is nice but not astonishingly so or anything.
That said, I do like it. It's nice to be able to carry one large puck of soap (it does come in the plastic snap close tub all VDH soaps usually come in) a razor, a towel and a brush, and be ready to walk to the showers, instead of a whole batch of stuff all for separate purposes. To boot it's cheap.

hope that helps some

John P
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

JohnP wrote:
Racso_MS wrote:

John P.

Oscar,
I can only speak for my own experience, and I've never taken VDH as a replacement for that puck of Joris you've been hoarding away somewhere for those "special" occasions....to me it is just a good "using" soap.
The box implies you can use both sides for shaving, and for bathing, but to each his own as far as preference. I'm sure if you wished you could bathe with Trumper Rose as well.
It's basically a giant puck of glycerine soap, and its performance is nice but not astonishingly so or anything.
That said, I do like it. It's nice to be able to carry one large puck of soap (it does come in the plastic snap close tub all VDH soaps usually come in) a razor, a towel and a brush, and be ready to walk to the showers, instead of a whole batch of stuff all for separate purposes. To boot it's cheap.

hope that helps some

John P
JP,

You know I'm going to try it. I just had to show my rear so it would look as if I was a snobbish boor and wouldn't lower myself to this "lower class" soap. I've tried just about everything on the market and frequently the less expensive products work just as effectively as the more expensive, albeit not quite as scented. Plus they are easier to use when you travel. Thank goodness for old Tupperware products. The wife has a boat load that a puck of COL Conk or VDH fit perfectly. I'll give it a try and store some away for the occasional use or travel as required... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Oscar,
That's hilarious...I'm the same way. Those Gladware containers with the screw on tops....are the best.

I kind of wonder if VDH makes Col Conk as well (?) it wouldn't surprise me a bit.
They had one or two I liked (almond, amber, etc)

Personally I shave with VDH so I can save my Castle Forbes creams for the showers :lol:

John P.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

The new logo looks a lot like the logo for Muhle-Pinsel. I wonder if that will cause any problems? It looks close enough to me to be confusing.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Yeah, I noticed that also and wondered the same thing.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm sure if you wished you could bathe with Trumper Rose
like dying and going to heaven LOL

cive
de gustibus non est disputandum