Review: TOBS Lime Luxury Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
EL Alamein

Re: Review: TOBS Lime Luxury Shaving Soap

Post by EL Alamein »

An excellent shave today.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Something else was paramount today, and I didn't even miss my morning shave. Tomorrow being Saturday, I think removing this 2 day growth will be twice as nice with the Taylor's Lime.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

The top 3 positive characteristics of this soap are making themselves clear as I continue to use it. They are (1) beautifully mild fragrance, (2) slick, and (3) there's no suds!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, what do you mean by "no suds"?

I am guessing that there is no is no left over pre-lather bubbly stuff? If so, then yeah, Taylor's soaps are hard and thus marvelously good at whipping up the good thick, protective-yet-slick lather that lasts the whole shave through.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, that's a good description of what I call suds. A good example of what I call suds is what Arko stick starts out with. Big bubbles that turn into smaller bubbles, but bubbles nevertheless. Suds make a crackly sound. Examples (in addition to TOBS Lime) of soaps without suds are MdC, Cella, Tallow AOS, Kramperts, Phoenix.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hmm, big bubbles usually indicate too much water.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

water/soap ratio matters
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Of course it does Gary, that's rather the point. Get that right and the rest falls into place. I don't find Arko or any other brand prone to excessively large bubbles yet all will do that if too much water is used.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire, we're obviously in complete and total agreement on the water statement. There's no argument from me! Regarding TOBS Lime, I have stated my observation that some soaps are sudsy, and my personal preference for shaving soaps that happen to be formulated in such a manner that are less sudsy, in my opinion. TOBS Lime is a joy to use.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

With these top shelf products were are merely talking about dialing it in. They got the lather we need.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was recently lucky to find an unused refill through the forums at a decent price, and to boot, it came with an unused bar of Mike's Bay Rum. Such a deal on two very good soaps.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Is there any of this soap still out there in the shave universe? I've decided I would love to try it if I could get hold of some.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, I hope you are able to find one! I'd enjoy seeing your impressions.
Gary