Tabac

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Tinman

Tabac

Post by Tinman »

Back in Sept, during a business trip to Germany I stopped in a Muellers to restock my dwindling supply of soap. I was really after the inexpensive (but good!) stuff--Speick and Palmolive sticks. I saw the jar of Tabac at what I thought a good price, so picked it up as well.

I've been working my way through a puck of PdP and realizing this will take many months (haven't even gotten below the threads on the can and I've been using it for several weeks) and decided to break out the Tabac to try it. Nice surprise. Very easy lathering, great shaving. The scent is different but I like it and expect it would grow on me even more after regular use.

I've been using traditional brush/cream/soap since 2009 and have tried many soaps and creams, but not liking to have limited storage space overflowing, I usually only have a few things on hand and finish them up before buying more. There are lot's of soaps and creams that I am eager to try but the current ones all go pretty slow and I don't restock often, so it's taken me a long time to get around to trying Tabac. Glad I did. Looking forward to when I start working my way through this puck.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Re: Tabac

Post by rustyblade »

I have an open bowl of Tabac that I've been using on an off since 2005. Still has a decent amount of scent to it.
Richard
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Tabac has a scent that is not only unique, it is also quite isolating. I really like the scent, but I can't use it as a daily driver mainly because it is harsh on my skin. It is a fabulous latherer that's for sure. It works equally well with all my brushes including my budget synthetic from The Body Shop.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
95%

Post by 95% »

Tabac was one of my early favorites after joining SMF. I went through the jar in a couple of years, then never thought to reorder it. Well, I just have, reestablishing my bond with the stuff after a long hiatus. The lather is superb, of course, but it's that rare fragrance which so distinguishes this soap. Assertive, to be sure, but if you pay close attention you'll catch a delightful whiff of sweet tobacco leaf. It's one of life's small pleasures.
Porter
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I always look forward to Tabac as I rotate through my soaps. The tallow-based lather is tops and I love the scent.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Love the Tabac soap (hate the cream, though). I find the scent to be very nice, and the performance as well. There's just no way to get a bad lather with Tabac.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

jww wrote:(snip)I really like the scent, but I can't use it as a daily driver mainly because it is harsh on my skin.(/snip).
Yes, there's something about Tabac that affects my skin, although not in an extreme way, therefore it's still in my rotation. I tried TRBeck's idea of relathering a third time just to let the lather sit. Not a good result. A bit of burn. Better to lather, shave, and rinse without letting the product remain on the skin for too long.
Ed
J T

Post by J T »

I really enjoy Tabac. Great scent, awesome lather and a fabulous shave. The only soap I use more than Tabac... The Fat
~ Jack
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Really like the lather but not too keen on the scent.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Tabac invariable has me thinking of the 50's.

Even though I don't know for sure, I strongly suspect that my dad must have used Tabac at that time.

I like the unique scent but it has something decidedly old-fashioned about it.
Nice, but not something I use too often.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I like everything about Tabac. For me it's a keeper.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Some soaps are sudsy (they like to make big bubbles) by nature, and to me that's a negative. There's nothing sudsy about good old Tabac. It's the thick rich shiny soap they all strive to be.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
The_Metatron

Post by The_Metatron »

It's pretty much all I use. As for its effect on the ladies, well, sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

My wife likes it, and I like it. Job done.
"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."
stagger

Post by stagger »

When I think of shave soap, Tabac is the first soap that comes to mind. Very affordable, pleasant fragrance (to me), and produces a thick,slick lubricating lather. If there is a "better" shave soap out there, I have yet to run across it. YMMV
Regards,
Mark -
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tinman wrote: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 am Back in Sept, during a business trip to Germany I stopped in a Muellers to restock my dwindling supply of soap. I was really after the inexpensive (but good!) stuff--Speick and Palmolive sticks. I saw the jar of Tabac at what I thought a good price, so picked it up as well.

I've been working my way through a puck of PdP and realizing this will take many months (haven't even gotten below the threads on the can and I've been using it for several weeks) and decided to break out the Tabac to try it. Nice surprise. Very easy lathering, great shaving. The scent is different but I like it and expect it would grow on me even more after regular use.
stagger wrote: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:22 am When I think of shave soap, Tabac is the first soap that comes to mind. Very affordable, pleasant fragrance (to me), and produces a thick,slick lubricating lather. If there is a "better" shave soap out there, I have yet to run across it. YMMV
95% wrote: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:40 amTabac was one of my early favorites after joining SMF. I went through the jar in a couple of years, then never thought to reorder it. Well, I just have, reestablishing my bond with the stuff after a long hiatus. The lather is superb, of course, but it's that rare fragrance which so distinguishes this soap. Assertive, to be sure, but if you pay close attention you'll catch a delightful whiff of sweet tobacco leaf. It's one of life's small pleasures.
Early posts about this iconic soap. Incredible product. Affordable and easy to use. I can't recall anyone ever complaining that they couldn't get it to lather. The fragrance is the subject of debate. When I got my first cake 12 years ago, I recall it was so different and so strong I didn't know how to react to it. Nowadays I pay little or no attention to the fragrance. I think if someone put together a blind smell-test, I may not even identify it. Pleasant and inoffensive, and maybe even comfortable. Damn good lather for shaving.

PS: it makes me sad to see the majority of guys posting 6 years ago seem to have drifted away.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, timely for me that you should bring back up this old thread. I just used Tabac yesterday as well as few days prior to that. The turn in the weather here with the temperature going down to the 40's overnight for a few days is what I think caused the desire to use this wonderful soap. Just something about the colder weather and Tabac.

I don't use it much but I will note that back in January of this year while I was away on business I did stay in a hotel that had a shampoo and conditioner that was a near match for Tabac in scent. I want to say the brand was Paul Mitchell but I can't be sure. At the time it inspired me to use Tabac when I got home.

Good stuff.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Alright! Tabac is it for tomorrow. I think I might find some, somewhere around here.
Tabac.jpg
Tabac.jpg (454.73 KiB) Viewed 9275 times
There we are! Might be one or two left by now.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I tried Tabac for the first time this summer, when I got a shapeless 20 g sample lump of it.
I soon ordered some in the ceramic bowl, because I know I'll be buying refills for it.
As far as the scent goes, it seems like an authentic "natural" scent to me.
:-k Maybe it's actually carefully engineered to give that impression, but I'm willing to go along with the conceit. It makes a nice change.
drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:03 pm Alright! Tabac is it for tomorrow. I think I might find some, somewhere around here.

Tabac.jpg

There we are! Might be one or two left by now.
Nice little fort you had going there. =D>
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

"Natural" -- I'm inclined to be drawn to it, but I don't know what that means!
Regards,
Mike
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

maskaggs wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:39 pm "Natural" -- I'm inclined to be drawn to it, but I don't know what that means!
I know what you mean.
Marketers choose to ignore the fact that radon gas, pyroclastic flows, and ricin are all "natural" things too. It doesn't make them any more attractive though.

[edit] My intention was to suggest that a "natural" scent is the side effect of using only the ingredients that are needed to make it an effective shaving soap. Perfumes, colourants, and maybe preservatives are "unnatural".
If you can't immediately identify a scent as, say, menthol, sandalwood, or floral, then I guess you are to assume that that is the "natural" scent of a pure soap.
It's a conspiracy by the military industrial cosmetics complex, man!
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex