The state of the current English Shaving soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jbcohen

Re: The state of the current English Shaving soaps

Post by jbcohen »

Crabtree and Evelyn makes great lather, if it wasn't proprietary to Amazon I would buy it, I have this thing against proprietary (Available from only one source), this is why I don't buy Crabtree and Evelyn and Apple anything. I have nothing against apple just the fact that its proprietary.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

jbcohen wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:23 am Crabtree and Evelyn makes great lather, if it wasn't proprietary to Amazon I would buy it, I have this thing against proprietary (Available from only one source), this is why I don't buy Crabtree and Evelyn and Apple anything. I have nothing against apple just the fact that its proprietary.
I don't quite understand your objection there, if you generally like the C&E soaps.
C&E is not really "proprietary" in the same sense as Apple. It's not as if you are forced to use it only with C&E brushes, C&E razors, etc.
If you are going by the "available from only one source" definition, then there are very few things that are not, ultimately.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
jbcohen

Post by jbcohen »

Ok, perhaps you know something I don't and that would not surprise me. I have only been able to find Crabtree & Evelyn at Amazon and that's it. I also really don't like middle men like amazon, however I do do business with re-sellers, such as Safeway. I have not been able to find Crabtree and Evelyn soap at their own website.

Again perhaps you know something that I don't and that would not suprise me.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I thought Crabtree had filed for bankruptcy. All the locations over here were closed,
and they were liquidating all their stock. Their shaving line sales had suffered really bad and it was already hard to find in a lot of their stores.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I thought Crabtree and Evelyn discontinued their men's line a while back. I was under the impression everything still available was old stock just getting cleared out.

It's a shame if it's true.

Chris