Harris soap reformulation

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Harris soap reformulation

Post by TRBeck »

Clive, some vendors have the formulation ingredients posted. I asked Fendrihan about their stock a few months back, and they not only replied but posted ingredients for all of their in-stock Harris soaps on their site. I also know that Connaught turns over stock pretty quickly and has the new/current formulation. I can't speak for other vendors.

I should add, though, that the Windsor does not appear to have been turned over to the new formula yet. Seems to be older stock everywhere. It's also really good soap, of course, and it seems Harris tries to keep performance fairly consistent from formula to formula, but there's no doubt in my mind that the new/current stuff is a, uh, cut above.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Caveat: I just checked and rechecked the posted Harris Marlborough soap refill ingredient list at one of the California vendor websites - and it might be an outdated list - because the tallowate is listed second (old formula) as opposed to being listed first (new reformulation). Before buying, I'd double check with the proprietor to make sure I'm getting the new formula. (Ten posts back, is a photograph of the new vs. old formulae for Harris and Salter's.)
Last edited by brothers on Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

chris1978 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:39 pm I found the lists of ingredients of D.R. Harris shaving soap and Cyril R Salter shavingbsoap in old and new. Check it out. ChrisA
Thank you to Chris for posting those lists of the old and new formulations.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

TRBeck wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:05 pm While I haven't used the new formulation lavender, the sandalwood, Marlborough, Arlington, and almond are all unchanged from their classic scent profiles. I'd expect lavender is the same.
I can vouch for the Arlington. Great lather, intoxicating scent, and the accompanying after shave puts the cherry on top of a great shaving experience.
Bill
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks a ton gents....you guys are the B.E.S.T., best!!!!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Three weeks ago when the decision was made to get a puck and use it I asked the first vendor to verify whether it was old or new. Unfortunately, it was old formula. The second vendor had what I wanted. 50/50 is not good enough. Always check first. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i bought a puck from fendrihan based on Tim's comments. of course it arrived, i unpacked and bowl'd it, threw away the box and completely forgot about the 'ingredientgate' part of the entire exercise! It lathers ok, has a good scent...what more can one ask for?? :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum