My recent Trumper's Almond

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
adhoc

My recent Trumper's Almond

Post by adhoc »

For me, buying creams from Trumper recently has been a 50/50 deal whether or not I get an actual good cream or a dried out one. Dried out creams are usable but never function as good as they should do IMO. I don't know if this problem lies with the suppliers who let their goods sit too long on the shelves though but I'm getting rather tired of it.

My new almond cream was not dry at all but when the text on the lid came in contact with water it all smeared out! This has never happened to me before and I really hope this is just one lid gone wrong -- Trumper should be improving their quality control though, that's for sure.

It looks like it's 30 years old but I just bought it the other week...
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (552.21 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
Olle
brothers

Re: My recent Trumper's Almond

Post by brothers »

Puzzling - - -
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Would it be cost prohibitive to buy from Trumper website? What about buying it from Amazon -- I don't think they let anything sit around long.
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Didn't they change to lid stickers at some point from having the logo printed directly? Might be a clue as to vintage...

Edit sorry I misread the op- some googling suggests trumpers never actually switched to label stickers like TOBs et al.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I haven't had this issue again on any new pots from Trumper that I've bought -- that the text on the lid getting all smeared out that is. But I'm getting really sick and tired of another problem, which is when I'm opening a new pot of shaving cream -- this problem doesn't seem to be limited to Trumpers only though -- I have a 50% chance of getting a pot of cream that hasn't dried out. The problem may not necessarily lie at Trumper et al but on the retailer as well, maybe they let their pots sit far too long on the shelf and the creams start to dry out. So, I am done with buying potted shaving creams and I will for now on forward, only buy shaving creams that come in tubes, which doesn't seem to suffer from this drying problem nearly as bad as creams from pots do.
Olle
Ken

Post by Ken »

It is not just Trumper's. After having had problems with pots of cream from the British merchants, I decided to stick with tubes. I have never had a problem with tubes. They are more costly, but the tubes protect the product.

Ken
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Ken wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:23 pm It is not just Trumper's. After having had problems with pots of cream from the British merchants, I decided to stick with tubes. I have never had a problem with tubes. They are more costly, but the tubes protect the product.

Ken
Yeah, I have had problems with Truefitts cream in pots as well. I'm gonna do as you, only buy creams in tubes from now on.
Olle