English Fern tallow soap by Penhaligon's

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: English Fern tallow soap by Penhaligon's

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, do you know if any are still available for sale on the www? Ive never tried english fern

thanks
clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, they ruined both the English Fern and the Blenheim Bouquet shaving soaps when they reformulated them a few years ago maybe 10. After that, nobody was buying it because it was just lousy so the company brilliantly canceled it, had a couple of other brand soaps still unable to make lather, and at the present time I'm not sure whether Penhaligon's is offering any shaving soaps for sale. The same thing has happened to Trumper's. Except they are still making and selling their soap. Shaving soap I mean. Actually nobody knows whether it is being sold to any satisfied customers or not, it is still made and being offered would be a better way to put it. The advent of Salter's shaving soap and D R Harris shaving soap in a new formula was a breakthrough. It does contain tallow, if my information is accurate. At the present time, the pure gold Penhaligon's soaps from yesteryear may be out there somewhere, but at a high cost. Some of us have hoarded one or two of them, and probably would never part with them under less than dire circumstances.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks Gary. i have the salter soap....in fact after the first puck i was so enamoured i bought a few extra :lol: my interest is piqued on the ef....will have to start looking for one to try

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

A month ago my scheduled time for using the English Fern shaving soap expired, but not before it had logged 94 shaves and it looked like there might be another dozen more or less when it rotates back around 7 or 8 months from now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I used it up but didn't remember to record the event for generations to come.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It is indeed lovely, as was the EdT. I shan't run out of either. What a shame that such a classic is gone, replaced by cheap, nasty, modern junk.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Agree this was a good one in it's early incarnation. I don't use the one I have very much or even the EDT but I do enjoy them every once in a while.

I can't believe they discontinued the EDT, I would have thought that would be around forever it was so good.

Chris
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Penhaligon's English Fern EdT is probably my all-time favorite fragrance. Why on earth it was discontinued is beyond me. It probably used some ingredients that will contribute to doom and destruction - or it's just an old man's fragrance. Trumper Wild Fern is similar, but EF has a depth and warmth that seems to be missing from Wild Fern. Thank goodness I have two or three bottles on reserve...enough for the duration.

Similarly, the tallow EF soap is really nice stuff. Like Chris, I stocked up and don't think I'll run out at this point. I also like Martin de Candre's Fougere soap. The lather is different from EF, but it is thick and slick - with a nice fougere fragrance.
Lynn
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think 'green' or fougere scents are out of fashion these days, and don't sell as well. Perhaps more than other scents, when they are done badly or cheaply they are awful.
It doesn't help now that artificial fixatives have been around so long that a generation or more has grown up unable to tell their fougere from their chypre.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

woodsrider wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:51 pm Penhaligon's English Fern EdT is probably my all-time favorite fragrance. Why on earth it was discontinued is beyond me. It probably used some ingredients that will contribute to doom and destruction - or it's just an old man's fragrance. Trumper Wild Fern is similar, but EF has a depth and warmth that seems to be missing from Wild Fern. Thank goodness I have two or three bottles on reserve...enough for the duration.

Similarly, the tallow EF soap is really nice stuff. Like Chris, I stocked up and don't think I'll run out at this point. I also like Martin de Candre's Fougere soap. The lather is different from EF, but it is thick and slick - with a nice fougere fragrance.
I agree with everything you've said here, except that I didn't stock up on EF. I do have ample amounts of Wild Fern on hand, just in case. And I quite enjoy MdC fougere soap. Wonderful stuff.

As for why EF was discontinued, it seems Pen's has tried to move very contemporary niche with their scents: gaudy bottles, over-the-top naming conventions, greater use of new aromachemicals, etc. Opus 1870, Endymion, Blenheim, and Sartorial are hanging on, but for how long?
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau