Gilette PURE shaving cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
pausted

Gilette PURE shaving cream

Post by pausted »

I was in Walmart yesterday and they had a clearance sign on this Gillette PURE shaving cream. I figured that for $4.50 it was worth a try. I had earlier seen on the internet that it would lather with a brush. I used it this morning and was quite pleasantly surprised. It does lather quite easily and provides a slick and protective shave. The scent is a mild, clean and pleasant scent. I could not describe the scent beyond that. The lather lasts very well with no dissipation between passes. All in all, $4.50 for a big 6oz. tube is money well spent. Maybe I'll lay in a spare tube before it goes away.
Best regards,

Basil
MntnMan62

Re: Gilette PURE shaving cream

Post by MntnMan62 »

I totally agree. My impression was identical to yours. Hard to describe the scent but it's clean, a tiny bit of citrus. I don't love it but it's pleasant. The performance was also decent. And it works nicely with a brush. I bought it when Gillette first came out with it and paid $6 for the same tube. I thought it was worth it at that price. Admittedly I haven't used it in quite some time but that's because I have a bunch of soaps and creams I want to finish to make room in the den for more.
Absurdity is the only reality. - FZ
John Rose

Re: Gilette PURE shaving cream

Post by John Rose »

I think it's pretty good stuff too, for the price.
The scent seems to be a "generic Gillette" scent, and maybe designed to offend as few people as possible without being scent-free.
I nearly always use it in combination with another more strongly-scented soap, like Proraso White, Proraso Green, or Wilkinson Sword (blue bowl) soap.
I find that the combination of scents is far more interesting than either alone.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex