"new" Arko sticks, new order in ingredients

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JarmoP

"new" Arko sticks, new order in ingredients

Post by JarmoP »

I bought 12 sticks from https://www.amazon.com/Arko-Shaving-Soa ... B000VAWZ2U which arrived today.

My from 11 years ago acquired sticks had ingredients:
Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Paraffinum Liquidum, Titainum Dioxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrybiphenyl Disulfonate

The sticks I got today have ingredients listed as:
Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate
Parfum, Parraffinum Liquidum, Tetrasodium EDTA, CL77891, Etidronic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Distyrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol.

These sticks should be newer as dates say: 01 2016 / 01 2023, so they probably have been made in 2016 and seem have best before date in January 2023. So I am rather disapointed that 4 year old soap sticks are being sold In Amazon/iEATWORLD. Then again I am quite sure they will be workable long after 2023.

Interesting thing is that these sticks are told of having same soap ingredient list as Arko tub soap. Read from this link https://www.amazon.com/Arko-Shaving-Soa ... B00C8A2NHS the question: Is the tub Arko same as the stick Arko?

There is words that the tub Arko is a somewhat harder soap, so then these sticks should be too. Not maybe as nice for face lathering as the older sticks? For me ok, as I slice a small disc to a soap bowl.
Jarmo
slackskin

Re: "new" Arko sticks, new order in ingredients

Post by slackskin »

Will the new ones be as strongly scented as the old ones?
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

These "new" ones probably are. I have just half a stick from those 11 year ago acquired left. It does not have any lemon scent left and it is not white anymore. So I can't compare.

It can be that it is just once someone have erroneously made puck soaps into a stick form and then they were sent out like that. One suspicion I have. As I searched in net sites that are selling Arko sticks, none have the bowl soap ingredients listed. Would be interesting to know if someone else indeed has sticks like mine.
Jarmo
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

JarmoP wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:41 am The sticks I got today have ingredients listed as:
[...snip...] Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol. [...snip...]
As near as I can make out, those four ingredients are typically to provide scent, mostly citrus and floral.
That makes me wonder what the "Parfum" ingredient is for.
Parfum itself can have any number of ingredients.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Good question. Tabac also has that parfum mentioned besides many other ingredients that can also contribute to the scent.

Regarding scent this bowl soap formulation of these sticks, they don't have that industrial Arko scent that I originally disliked so much in past as I remembered and even posted on this forum many years ago. Or my nose gone some worse. Still I would not let a stick open in my bathroom without some container to keep it. My deodorant one or my spare Tabac bowl.

Being somewhat skeptical about how well these sticks would work as a shaving stick as I do believe they are of a harder soap than traditional, I rubbed it today on my wet face and then dipped once too the stick to water. I was able to produce a good lather with my well shaken badger brush afterwards. Something like a few minutes workout needed at least to build it. I usually won't do it without a puck brush loading.

I did not shave because I skip in winter usually 2 days in shaving and that is tomorrow due. Just my normal way, quaranteed I have enough for my pass shaves. Just at least with a badger brush, face rubbing the soap and building lather on the brush that way too I guess I'd have enough for my passes Not sure about my huge Omega 48 boar brush lol. So I say my deodorant stick holder with Arko is fine as a travel tool.
Jarmo
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

My opinion of these Arkos is that they produce easy lather experience, shown like the guy in the picture.
And the lather is slick/protective, if that is the right term? But ONCE the lather is taken away with the blade, my skin is left without much lubrication/protection.

So I just am thinking if it could be better that coconut oil be back higher up?

I am fine with applying moisturisizing AS after shave and avoid any blade buffing etc. crazy in shaving with this stick soap.
Jarmo
Gene

Post by Gene »

This is odd, or it's too early in the morning, but...

I followed the link you included - see 12 sticks for $14. One of the images is the ingredient list, which clearly shows Stearic Acid as the number 2 ingredient.

Reformulations make me sad.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Gene wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:05 am This is odd, or it's too early in the morning, but...

I followed the link you included - see 12 sticks for $14. One of the images is the ingredient list, which clearly shows Stearic Acid as the number 2 ingredient.

Reformulations make me sad.
You are talking about the 4 images. The last one shows indeed stearic acid, but that image is not a photo taken from the stick. If instead you look at the 1st picture and magnify and tilt your head 90 degrees left (or your monitor right), you can see in the stick wrapper ingredients. Of which the second ingredient is Potassium Stearate and all the other ingredients are also of the Arko bowl soap ones.

It can be somewhat hard to read, so helps if like myself have a same kind of stick at home ;)
Jarmo
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I can't complain any about these Amazon got 2016 sticks.

I always put some Arko soap on the bowl and from there preload my brush before making lather on my face. So I can't compare this formulation as a straight from stick to face lathering. But I tried and that worked too.
Jarmo