AOS Rose Absolute shaving cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

AOS Rose Absolute shaving cream

Post by brothers »

First, some background: Recently I got an old and long-discontinued tub of this beautiful cream, and it's excellent. Problem is, it's so old it hardened and I was able to use it by adding some water and stirring.

This caused me to explore the possibility of buying a tub of AOS Unscented and adding Rose Absolute essential oil (or Rose Otto, depending on the individual's taste). Has anyone tried this?

For some reason, it seems there are a few internet outlets selling new tubs of AOS Unscented at about 50% of the normal retail price. In my opinion and experience, AOS shaving cream is among some of the best available currently, in several scents.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Re: AOS Rose Absolute shaving cream

Post by churchilllafemme »

I haven't tried your exact combination. But I've put a few drops of Sandalwood perfume or Floris Moss Rose EdT into the lather of XPEC unscented cream in my scuttle bowl, and it has worked pretty well.
_______
John
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

This is exactly what I have been doing for a while now - AOS or Xpec unscented and add a decent quality EO. I’ve made rose, sandalwood, neroli and geranium this way. I tend overload the EO a bit and make the scent good and strong. I’ve never noticed any significant drop in performance of the creams after adding the EO. The old AOS tubs work great.
Rick
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

I used to take some essential oil and mix it into my Simpsons Unscented Shave Cream. I also add all different scents to my Stirling Unscented aftershave balm. Works like a charm.
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>