Lather While Traveling

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
EL Alamein

Lather While Traveling

Post by EL Alamein »

I'm back to traveling for assignments.

One thing I've noticed this last trip is that even though I make very hydrated lather that in this environment when I made a pass the skin was dryer after the pass a lot quicker than at home. There was no residual slickness that I'm used to. I compensated by making the lather even more runny than usual and that seemed to mitigate this. This is in a hotel environment where I suspect the water would be softened. Maybe not.

Also now is the dead of Winter and the hotel air seemed very dry, so much so that I woke up the first night with a very dry throat needing to drink some water to alleviate it. Maybe this had something to do with my experience.

I've not noticed this before but it's years since I've traveled for business so my memory may be faded. But this is a short testament to how different we all have to cope with varying lather difficulties.

I used my normal setup for this and it did adapt quite well when I changed my technique but it was a bit of a surprise.

Chris
CMur12

Re: Lather While Traveling

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Chris -

I live in a dry climate, but I haven't had such problems. It could be that my lathering technique simply evolved with my circumstances.
(I, too, make a rather wet lather.)

You might carry a small spray bottle with you, to rehydrate the dry spots. I would pack the bottle empty, only filling it on location.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

When I got back into wet shaving, and really started paying attention to the water at hotels, I came to the conclusion that most hotels had hard water ... some more than others. I was always more prone to irritation and weepers when on the road than at home.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Back when I traveled for business (in the pre-TSA days), I found that creams worked better for me than soaps. Most were fairly compact and lightweight, and they seemed to be more forgiving of water differences than soaps. I generally just loaded some cream onto a brush and face lathered.
_______
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Over time, I found that there were 2 or 3 products which tended to be hard-water resistant and I could rely on regardless of where I was. These products are Palmolive classic cream, Palmolive classic stick and The Body Shop Maca Root cream. I now only travel with the Maca root cream - it's entirely impervious to poor water conditions based on my experience which is limited to Europe, UK, US and Canada. Maca root in a small container always resides in my kit bag when I travel now. Keeps it simple and easy to augment --- I can't tell you how many times I have taken my little container into a local Body Shop and they have filled it for me mid-trip.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My wife and I travel extensively in the UK and Europe and take at least one small boat cruise every year. I’ve found that Harris Lavender and Tabac shaving sticks work very well when I travel, with no difference to how they perform at home. I agree with Wendell regarding the performance of Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream, but I prefer to travel with either of the two sticks I’ve mentioned because they don’t have to be carried in the clear plastic bag with the creams, gels and liquids I carry in my hand luggage when I fly as the Maca Root would.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I admit I don't travel extensively or frequently. When we do have occasion (maybe for a few days once a year) to be somewhere else instead of at home, I've learned to spend less time shaving, even though I do try to shave daily on vacation because it makes me feel good about my appearance. This translates into my favorite disposable razor and either a brushless cream or a soap stick and cheap synthetic brush. I don't dwell on the process or the lather. I just get it done and do whatever my wife tells me to do for the rest of the day. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Just got back from another mission. This place had air dry as a bone but the accommodations definitely had softer water than I'm used to. I felt it immediately when using the given hand soap to wash my hands. Very slick with less residue from a true soap.

What was interesting was that I needed very wet, almost dripping lather, to get a slick shave even though the water was softer. If not the lather would tend to dry a bit and be less slick (learned on the first shave) very quickly.

It's an eye opener to see these different types of situations juxtaposed in different locations. It leads me to believe that the advice we've given on lathering, myself included, can be insufficient for some posters.

I'm assigned to another location shortly and look forward to what I can learn.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, that makes me wonder. I have a water softener and I favor wet lather.

Of course, my preference could be for completely different reasons. Dry lather just doesn't give me the glide I seek and I only want minimal cushion. Going along with this is a mild razor.

I agree that it's hard to say what is right for another shaver, as there are so many variables. This, of course, is borne out in the wildly varying preferences between shavers when it comes to choosing a razor, blades, soap/cream, and brush.

- Murray
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

When travelling, I carry a loose puck of Harris, no wood bowl. Being a hard puck, triple milled, TSA doesn't care about it. I rub it on a wet face like a stick. Much cheaper that way.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris, it looks like you might need to give that maca root from body shop a whirl

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Spent a few days away from home base recently and used my little tub of Dirty brushless by Lush. No pretense of lather but performs perfectly.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Haven't traveled since that last time. Happy to be staying home really.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Happy to be staying home really.
sorry boss, i cant travel anywhere, i have GLMD (good lather making disorder) :D :D :D

clive
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Ten thumbs up on that, Clive!

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thumbs up on the thumbs up!
:lol:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good subject. In my case lather isn't a requirement. Easily available but unnecessary. When we're home it's something that creates a bit of enjoyment at the moment. On the road not so much considering the other stuff that goes on.
Gary