AOS creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

AOS creams

Post by brothers »

Working on a nice tub of Sandalwood for a few days, soon to be followed by a couple of others - Rose Absolute and Peppermint. I am reminded that these creams have a very good post shave feel, not to mention the slickness I love in any soaps and creams that I use.
SOTD 120220 AOS Sandalwood Omega.jpg
SOTD 120220 AOS Sandalwood Omega.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 6343 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: AOS creams

Post by Sam »

Been a while since I have used an AOS cream, but I always liked them.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I like their creams a lot, although the sandalwood to me has an unpleasant brassy tone. The Rose Absolute is a favorite; it is a real shame that it no longer is made.
_______
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Look what you made me do - dig into the Drawers of Shame and pull out some unopened tubs of ancient creams. These may be of interest, being about 15 years old:

AOS.jpg
AOS.jpg (73.69 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
But behind them I found some creamy gold, which will not be sold at any price:

I admire the Sweet Almond scent, be it in soap or cream, but the Sandalwood is intoxicating! I probably won't shave with it, but will just huff some now and then when the circumstances demand maximum consolation.

Given that the Drawers of Shame now reside behind a roomful of furniture from my mother's house, it isn't easy to access them. There's a lot more stuff there to be revealed at some point in the future.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gordon always did like almond
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sam, did you sort out a new brush for yourself yet? I have many to give away to a deserving soul like yourself.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, I did not but I have also not spent anytime since the posting to go look at Shavemacs or what have you. Been too concerned with socks, lol. Messy family situation I have going with my mother and sister, in the Tampa area, and am flying down there this Sunday for a week. May have to testify at a domestic violence trial. One time I managed to meet Gordon for a meal at a Tampa mall, a deli, and it was a nice time. I have an old number and an email and last time I phoned him, well, things were not as he desired. I may try to call him this weekend before I leave to see if he can meet up again.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sam wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:31 pm Chris, I did not but I have also not spent anytime since the posting to go look at Shavemacs or what have you. Been too concerned with socks, lol. Messy family situation I have going with my mother and sister, in the Tampa area, and am flying down there this Sunday for a week. May have to testify at a domestic violence trial. One time I managed to meet Gordon for a meal at a Tampa mall, a deli, and it was a nice time. I have an old number and an email and last time I phoned him, well, things were not as he desired. I may try to call him this weekend before I leave to see if he can meet up again.
Let me know what you'd like for a brush, and do twist Gordon's arm to make him start posting again. He does not know how much he is missed!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Nostalgic to see all these wonderful creams of old.

And I do hope you get in touch with Gordon, Sam. We'd all like to see him back in the fold here.

Chris
Gene

Post by Gene »

It would be nice to hear from Gordon again.

AOS Sandalwood cream is probably my favorite cream of all (after Coates). I have a couple of tubes left over from my traveling days - and I get one out every few days for a couple of uses. I tried a tube of the lemon - but the scent wasn't as powerful as I had hoped. Maybe a tub version would have been nicer? Sure miss the old days before reformulation swept the world (and shocked to realize it wasn't that long ago).
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Re: AOS Peppermint

Post by brothers »

Today's choice is AOS Peppermint cream. It's been a year since it showed up. I'd almost forgotten the quite pleasing scent and degree of coolness that comes with this one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444