Caswell-Massey Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
michaelherndon

Caswell-Massey Shaving Cream

Post by michaelherndon »

Anyone here tried Caswell-Massey creams? I love the scents of their bath soap, but thought I had read on here that their shave soap doesn't lather very well. Since it's on the expensive side, I figured it might be worth getting some opinions before making a purchase.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Caswell-Massey Shaving Cream

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome to SMF! I haven't tried those creams, and was underwhelmed by their aftershaves. I daresay someone here will be able to give an opinion more useful than mine.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

I recently purchased a tin of their new soap which is produced by Holy Black in New York. It is a typical artisan soft soap. The performance is fine, slick and protective. The strong suit is the scent. It is may be the best smelling shaving soap I have EVER used. I bought the ROS scent and it truly has a beautiful fragrance. In the tin, the added spice scents kind of overpower the rose scent but, upon lathering, the rose scent explodes.

I can't comment on the creams because I haven't tried them but the soap is a winner. Of course YMMV.
Best regards,

Basil
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

The website says the cream can be used with or without a brush. Any comments on lathering? I’ve not liked the few brushless creams that I’ve tried. They seemed a bit greasy and tended to clog the razor.
Rick
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

welcome to smf.

I might have to try a rose after reading Basil's comment. thanks for the enable :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

The description of the Ros fragrance is definitely tempting, isn't it! :D
Honestly, I have some fairly OK brushless cream or two that will probably last me a long time. I don't use it very often.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Barry

Post by Barry »

The last time I tried a Caswell-Massey shaving cream was over 10 years ago. If I recall it was sort of a "whipped" type of shaving cream and I didn't care for it. I remember way back when a lot of the traditional men's toiletries companies switched to from firmer to lighter shaving creams. If my memories about Caswell are correct then their shaving cream was even lighter and more whipped than the lighter shaving creams by some of the English soap/cream brands.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I too tried CM creams more than 10 years ago. Back then, everyone was on the bandwagon with Trumpers, Taylors and other long-time British creams and even Castle Forbes. CM and Crabtree and Evelyn kinda suffered in comparison. Then Art of Shaving hit and it was a copy almost of the Trumpers and the Sandalwood caught hold of many here. So I just went back to Trumpers et al and stocked up on Trumpers. When I run out, I will do the same.