First it was Fine and now it's Tabac -

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

First it was Fine and now it's Tabac -

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:14 pm The new Fine shaving soap is a soft soap that costs about $25 and won't last anywhere as long as a hard triple milled soap. Of course he'll try to put a positive spin on the whole thing, and I understand that. Bottom line: we've lost another great tallow based triple milled shaving soap. One of the fragrances that are permanently discontinued was the Green Vetiver that is/was the only vetiver-related soap I've ever been able to use, based on the fragrance. The new line of soaps does contain tallow, for what it's worth. So what? I've got plenty of others to take its place when my Fine soaps run out in about 10 years now that I only shave 3 or 4 times a week.
And, furthermore - - - - In case you haven't heard, Tabac has been reformulated to eliminate all mention of tallow. Too bad it hasn't been mentioned here on SMF lately. Seems to have taken place just a few months back (August or September 2021 ???).
"the Tabac shaving soap was made by Dalli-Group, a giant German company, one of the biggest European producers of personal care and home care products.

However, the soap base for making Tabac shaving soap was made and provided by a German factory called Dreiring, part of the Kappus group.
The whole Kappus group filed for bankruptcy in September 2018, and the final end came to Dreiring around September 2020.
Dreiring-Werk - https://second.wiki/wiki/dreiring-werk
So, no soap base, no shave soap.

They really didn't wanna reformulate the product, but they were forced to change because of the demise of their previous provider."
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Re: First it was Fine and now it's Tabac -

Post by Gene »

Gary - I did a quick Google on Fine Green V - I see a Fresh V at West Coast Shaving - with tallow as the number 3. they say "triple-milled, tallow-based" in the description.

Is this the same - or is the ad old? I also see an orange-based that sounds interesting.

Their Snake Bite splash sounds nice, too ... although a bit expensive for my tastes.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I wrote to Maurer & Wirtz over a year ago when Dreiring went bust, but they never had the courtesy to reply. Such a shame as it was one of the best. At least they are trying to keep it going which means we'll still have the aftershave to enjoy, and maybe the shaving cream came from a different source and will still be available.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris, dont you have enough tabac soap to sink 19 battleships? :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

But I'm worried for you, Clive! :wink:

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

As we see the best old products tossing in the towel right and left, my reaction is to simply embrace the fact that times change and if the owners and operators don't care, then by Heaven, I darn sure don't care. Couldn't care less, actually. Move on. There are some who actually seek to please the customer. To those I say Thank You! Reminds me of the parting words of the legendary Davy Crockett, former 3 term Member of the US House of Representatives. He resigned after his colleagues did not support his positions: "You may all go to **** and I shall go to Texas!". :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice to know someone out there cares about me...thanks!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

First, let me confirm what Chris has already mentioned, Mäurer & Wirtz does not seem to be in the habit to answer e-mails with questions regarding Tabac. I found that out about 5 months ago…

Second, I am probably in a minority here when I say that I do not particularly care whether a shaving soap does or does not contain tallow.
When I turned 65 in January 2018 and had to retire by law from active flying I took a trip to Vienna and - among other visits - paid a visit to Haslinger.
The proprietor told me then that they had just switched to tallow-free shaving soaps and that, as a test, they had sent samples of tallow and tallow-free shaving soaps to customers and asked them to tell which one is which, which they couldn’t.

That only reaffirmed my view that I should judge a shaving soap by its merits and not by the fact whether sodium tallowate is mentioned on the list of ingredients, or not.

My stash of Tabac will last me for a while as a) I don’t use it that often and b) I have quite a few pucks stowed away.
But as reviews of the new Tabac shaving soap are still inconclusive, who has actually tried the new Tabac shaving soap and has had the opportunity to compare old and new side by side?

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brutus, I agree with your kudos to Haslinger. They succeeded in making the formula change with no loss of performance. That's a sign of dedication to pleasing the customer. Another example I recently discovered is the current Joris from Plisson. No tallow and excellent lather and overall performance.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

plisson has always been the most under appreciated shaving soap....I haven't used the joris except once or twice ( cant remember the shave) but im sure it must be similar