Canada Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
pausted

Canada Shaving Soap

Post by pausted »

This soap is made in Oakville, Ontario by the Canada Shaving Soap folks. After seeing favorable comments on some fora, I decided to give it a try. I found it on Amazon. $32 US sounds a bit pricey but the tub contains over six ounces of very hard soap. While not triple milled, they cure the soap for a minimum of five months so it is quite hard. It will last a long, long time.

I have lathered it with both boar and synthetic brushes. Both provided slick, protective lather with about a 30 second load. There is absolutely no scent. Not even a soap scent. For those of you who are scent adverse, this soap would be a good option.

The soap contains only 5 ingredients: stearic acid, water, coconut oil, potassium hydroxide and glycerin. This is a simple, very effective shaving soap. I’m enjoying it and I’m glad I bought it. Good stuff!
ACEE6D58-79C7-4AA6-B5AD-4D60F1645569.jpeg
ACEE6D58-79C7-4AA6-B5AD-4D60F1645569.jpeg (570.18 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
CD929BFE-E783-418A-8768-5315003D7BD9.jpeg
CD929BFE-E783-418A-8768-5315003D7BD9.jpeg (497.29 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
Best regards,

Basil
Rufus

Re: Canada Shaving Soap

Post by Rufus »

How about that? I live in Oakville (pop. 200,000) and I’ve never heard of this company let alone seen any of their products.
Bryan
pausted

Post by pausted »

Bryan, I’m not surprised. I think this is a small, artisan operation and, as far as I know, this is their only product.
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

maybe locals can get a discount???? :D :D :D :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the review, Basil!

A first ingredient of stearic acid bodes well for a good soap. I also like that it is truly unscented (although I really like soap scented with citrus EO).

I've already got a helluva cache of shaving soap (and blades), but this might be worth checking out.

- Murray
nav

Post by nav »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:30 pm Thanks for the review, Basil!

A first ingredient of stearic acid bodes well for a good soap. I also like that it is truly unscented (although I really like soap scented with citrus EO).

I've already got a helluva cache of shaving soap (and blades), but this might be worth checking out.

- Murray
If you want a bright, zingy, fresh citrus scent, check out saponificio bignoli agrumi Mediterrano (sp?).

I particularly love it in humid weather and the rainy season to brighten up my mornings!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

nav wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:45 pm

- Murray
If you want a bright, zingy, fresh citrus scent, check out saponificio bignoli agrumi Mediterrano (sp?).

I particularly love it in humid weather and the rainy season to brighten up my mornings!
Thanks, nav!

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

This morning I added three drops of Lavender EO to my lather bowl and then built the lather. It worked very well. Got a great lavender scented shave. Makes me think I will buy a couple more EO’s to add when I feel like it. Maybe lime and sandalwood?😊
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:05 pm
nav wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:45 pm

- Murray

Thanks, nav!

- Murray
FYI.....
Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance) Glycerin, Aloe Vera Extract, Bran Oil, Myristyl Lactate, Sodium Phylate, Limonene, Hexylcinnamal, Citral, Linalool, Geraniol.
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

pausted wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:41 am This morning I added three drops of Lavender EO to my lather bowl and then built the lather. It worked very well. Got a great lavender scented shave. Makes me think I will buy a couple more EO’s to add when I feel like it. Maybe lime and sandalwood?😊
I am reluctant to try this soap even though it’s made in my backyard, so to speak, because it is fragrance-free. But now that you mention adding an EO when lathering I just might give it a try. I lather on my face, but I do use a scuttle to hold my brush between latherings which I could use to mix the EO into the lather.
Bryan
pausted

Post by pausted »

Bryan, I really recommend you try the soap. It really has become a favorite for me. It lathers very easily and the resulting lather is just what I look for: slick and protective. Also, the post shave feel is very good and does not dry out my skin. Incidentally, adding the EO to the lather didn’t change it at all other than the scent. I highly recommend the soap. BTW, l’m not affiliated in any way with these guys. Just a happy customer. Let me know if you have any questions. They have a website (shown in my earlier picture). It explains their philosophy.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Puzzling. The package shows 5 ingredients and the narrative indicates absolutely no scent. Then someone posts that it has a much larger number of obscure ingredients including scent (perfume). Are we talking about two different products? Or did I just miss something?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, I don’t detect any scent and I’m reading the ingredients off the tub. Don’t know.

Are you talking about the list of ingredients in fallingwickets post? If so, I think he was talking about the soap that nav suggested..
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

pausted wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:59 pm Gary, I don’t detect any scent and I’m reading the ingredients off the tub. Don’t know.

Are you talking about the list of ingredients in fallingwickets post? If so, I think he was talking about the soap that nav suggested..
That's what happened. The topic regarding Canada Shaving Soap took a confusing turn. Thanks for figuring out what happened.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

I used the Canada Shaving soap again this morning. I am always amazed at how quickly and easily it lathers. After having not used it for awhile, the surface of the soap was like concrete. I didn't bloom it. I just shook the water out of my synthetic brush once and went to the soap. A 15 to 20 second load was all it took to create more than enough lather for my regular two pass shave. This is truly a good and economical soap. It would easily last a year of daily shaves I believe.Just wanted to give you a follow up review of the soap.
Best regards,

Basil
Haapala

Post by Haapala »

pausted wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:02 am I used the Canada Shaving soap again this morning. I am always amazed at how quickly and easily it lathers. After having not used it for awhile, the surface of the soap was like concrete. I didn't bloom it. I just shook the water out of my synthetic brush once and went to the soap. A 15 to 20 second load was all it took to create more than enough lather for my regular two pass shave. This is truly a good and economical soap. It would easily last a year of daily shaves I believe.Just wanted to give you a follow up review of the soap.
That's great to hear! It sounds like you're really enjoying the Canada Shaving soap. It's so nice to find a soap that lathers quickly and easily, and that is also economical. I'm glad it's been lasting you so long with daily shaves. Thanks for the follow up review!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Another first post with clauses and sentiments copied from the one before. There was a spam link in the sig too.

I'll just delete these in future, but you get the idea of what human spammers do that bots cannot.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

pausted wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:02 am I used the Canada Shaving soap again this morning. I am always amazed at how quickly and easily it lathers. After having not used it for awhile, the surface of the soap was like concrete. I didn't bloom it. I just shook the water out of my synthetic brush once and went to the soap. A 15 to 20 second load was all it took to create more than enough lather for my regular two pass shave. This is truly a good and economical soap. It would easily last a year of daily shaves I believe.Just wanted to give you a follow up review of the soap.
Hi Basil. It seems that this product isn't available any more. Apparently they just faded away like a lot of other good products.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, I just checked Amazon (where I bought mine) and they show it to be available.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Basil, thanks for that information. My mistake was searching for "canada shaving soap". :D
I was wrong, and I apologize.
I'm glad to see that this product is still going strong. There was a time when I thought tallow was a necessity, but after I used the Joris soap I realized I was simply mistaken and too stubborn to widen my horizon.
Gary