Used up my Coates stash...what’s good these days?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
i_shaved_something

Used up my Coates stash...what’s good these days?

Post by i_shaved_something »

Had a big supply of Coates cream tubes took me years to get through...finished last one yesterday.

The Horror

Anything out there good today? Can be soap or cream .

Also, anyone selling more old Coates tubes?
Rob
brothers

Re: Used up my Coates stash...what’s good these days?

Post by brothers »

I've been there and done that with the Coates. It had it's time in the spotlight before it quit business and walked away, but honestly, I find the current AOS creams to be outstanding, and well worth any extra cost, no question. Close second (for me) are Taylor's. I have 3 Taylor's in my rotation and 4 AOS. They're both a joy to use, especially with the Zenith boar, but any brush will work. I confess I've not used Trumper's because I refuse to use anything they make because they ruined their shaving soap and they clearly don't care. :shock: :evil: [-X I have some DRHarris creams but haven't been impressed positively or negatively so far.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Trumper's because I refuse to use anything they make because they ruined their shaving soap and they clearly don't care
say what??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
:D :D :D :D

I'm not much of a cream user, but the trumpers isnt bad at all (mainly use the lime version) and any search about trumpers creams on smf always yields very positive feedback

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Thanks! I may have to try AOS and Taylor and give the Trumpers a try just to experiment.
I bought so much shave gear years ago I haven’t had to order anything in years. It’s fun to be shopping again!
Rob
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's been years since I bought a shaving cream, but in those days the three Ts and DRH were all roughly equivalent: only the scent made one preferred over another. And they were made in the same manufactory by Creighton's Ltd. When the corporate beancounters moved to other, cheaper producers in the Great Reformulation Crisis, we started hearing reports that certain creams had lost their magic. And when wet shaving rose from the dead, non-traditional producers appeared to take advantage, AoS, Nancy Boy, Vulfix, Body Shop, TGR and so on. Some were good, but unlike the traditional creams, and some were simply awful.

If you can find something you like, buy half a dozen tubs, seal the lids with tape and keep them in a cool place. You'll find they keep for many years.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Great Reformulation Crisis,
have to remember this one for future reference!! :lol: :lol:

clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I too have done the Three H's, Coates, the shave soaps, the artisan stuff (who was it that had the shave stick first around here that was not from a mass producer?)

I have two pots of Trumpers - rose and limes - and I could see me using that or Taylors or Truffit. Truffit was available locally, and I had used that. Might go to AOS but really, if I can get a deal on one of the three T's, I would stick with that
mfsinsd

Post by mfsinsd »

I have been using Bigelow, a good stand-by for me. I also have a couple of T&H travel tubes I am using up. I was traveling several days a week up and down the coast before the pandemic. T&H has always been a good one for me. :)
Just Passin' Thru 8)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, mfsinsd!

Glad to have you join us.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Welcome to SMF, mfsinsd!
ditto on the sentiment

clive
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

T&H is hard to find nowadays. I still like the three Ts as well but really like the Trumper's the best. I recently bought a pot of the TOBS Shaving shop and can say I am very disappointed in the lather. I do have older pots of TOBS of all scents and they are good, I hope all the newer ones aren't like that Shaving Shop one.
I also use Fendrihan's creams, they are made in England and lather just as good as the Trumper's. The best part is they are way cheaper but do haver some different scents. I wouldn't doubt it that they are made by the same manufacturer as the other English creams.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Wonder if Salters is around and is good? And Joris shaving soap ? Ah QED was the shave stick I remember
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

salters is off the charts fantastic Sam...worth looking for

clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:24 am salters is off the charts fantastic Sam...worth looking for

clive
ok, next time i refill, may look at Salters. I have about half a tub of Trumpers Limes and a third of a tub of the Rose. Man, I loved the violet the best until they messed with it. Salters had a vetiver and a citrus version as I recall and was about half the price of Trumpers and had a little more they gave you, ounce-wise, for that price
brothers

Post by brothers »

If anyone knows, has Salters fixed the problem of the product turning into a sloppy liquid during shipping in hot weather? I hope the answer is a strong YES, and if so, then I'd seriously consider getting some of it. If I recall the scents and performance (stable cream instead of liquified cream) were very good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I bought Salter creams last summer, and they arrived in good order. All of them lather brilliantly, and their sandalwood scent is the best of any cream I've tried since T&H changed the scent on theirs a few years back.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

😃👍 Question answered! Long time - no see! Hoping all's well with you these days Tim.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Thanks, Gary. Doing well, shaving everyday, etc. I haven't found much time to post due to the phase of life we're in with our kids, work, etc., and anyway I rarely try new stuff anymore. The state of the den:

TOBS and Salter creams, Palmolive and tallowate Speick sticks, Martin de Candre soap, and good ol' Proraso
Semogue brushes (mixed knots, boar, badger)
Gamechanger .84P with bouts of vintage Gillette razors
Personna Medical Prep blades made in the USA
Thayer's original witch hazel

I do mean to poke my head in here more often.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tim good to see you. You won’t believe it but I just ordered a bottle of Terre d’Hermes Eau de toilette. It seems like about every other version other than the toilette. forgive me father for I have sinned
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Sam, good to see you too! Terre d'Hermes kept making its way back into the house here, too, so I finally just stuck with it. I've got the parfum and the Eau Intense Vetiver, too, now. :shock: :roll:
Regards,
Tim