Royal Yacht

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Royal Yacht

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's not a tech issue, but a copyright problem. You can pay for the right to use the clip in some limited fashion, but only after negotiating with Getty. Even the preview for it requires filling in a form and asking for access.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I have contact Getty and I'm awaiting their response.
Olle
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I just happened to stumble across this:

https://twitter.com/thelogosmith/status ... 0393178112

What hell is this?! Anyone heard about this "rebranding?
Olle
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Interesting, I always thought that the 3rd T was Taylors (of Old Bond Street), so maybe there were actually 4 Ts? I must say the fluorescent green of that RY cologne does not look very appetizing. It may smell great but it looks a bit scary to me - kind of “radioactive green”! If they do bring it back in any meaningful form, I hope that they opt for a more traditional amber-yellow color.
Rick
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

No one ever spoke of the Three T's back in those days; it is a term originating in the modern era when wet shaving experienced a resurgence of interest. To say that Thomas was the original third T is simply retroactive rebranding based purely on the founding dates of the companies involved. In other words, it is an attempt to cynically cash in on a perceived market who are assumed to know little, and care less, for actual history. If that's their technique then I suspect this will be as glorious a return as that of Coates, Wade & Butcher and other modern revivals of hallowed names.

This reminds me of the time when that puffed-up git, Seal, tried to argue that the so-called 'Holy Trinity' of Leica lenses had always been 28, 50 and 90, when Leica never made a 28mm lens in their classic era and couldn't even use a 35mm unless it had 'goggles':

He knew he was right because he was a Leica Ambassador and because I pointed out I had never even heard of him, I was jealous of his success! You can't make ex post facto changes to history, you can only forbid accurate retelling, and that has a bad reputation - vide Orwell.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the interesting, informative thread....learn something new everyday...for me, up until now i had never heard of g thomas. did he make a good rose??? :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I might get my hands on this beauty, It's not the original-original but near enough! ;)

From Ebay – she wasn't willing to ship it overseas but as mere coincidence my step father is going down under to visit his daughter on Saturday and the very nice woman was willing to ship it to his hotel address so that he can carry it with him back home!

I also just recently talked to Gettyimages on the phone about the short BBC clip from the 70s: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/vide ... /722818851. For me to actually pay for the rights would cost me thousands but the very nice man behind the telephone was going to contact whoever and maybe, maybe I can at least watch it (once). I doubt I can share it on here though.

As a bonus: here is a picture I found of the exterior of the old G Thomas shop:

Olle
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Updating this old thread... It was too expensive to purchase access to that video clip from Gettyimages but I discovered something yesterday - if you enter this: https://cdn.dam.gettyimages.com/S60V985 ... 3374_0.mp4 (found in the video description) into your web browser, you can see the clip (unfortunately without sound). The establishment doesn't look quite as posh as Trumpers but still looks like a very nice old school barbershop, I wonder what that big roller thing that's hanging from the ceiling could be.
Olle
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Looks like there is a powered axle on the ceiling and belt drive accessories can be used by the barber, in that case a belt-driven hairbrush. I've never seen such a thing, and can't really see the benefit of it. Thank you for the link!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The animal heads on the wall are a turn off.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Reading this thread figuratively reminds me of the days of wine and roses with regard to SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 pm Looks like there is a powered axle on the ceiling and belt drive accessories can be used by the barber, in that case a belt-driven hairbrush. I've never seen such a thing, and can't really see the benefit of it. Thank you for the link!
That seems like a plausible explanation. Here in this very old picture of inside H.P Truefitt you can see a similar contraption, with similar belts hanging from the ceiling.

Olle
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

That’s an excellent video. Thanks for posting. It seems as if the safety issues would make that establishment uninsurable these days. Open gas flames to heat curling tongs, powered belts right next to customer’s hair and the employee wearing a tie, heaven knows what toxic chemicals were in those aftershaves. A veritable litany of potential negligence. With Covid getting a trim these days is similar to going in for minor surgery - temperature check, health history and a mask. The barber wears scrubs. Going back to there roots as surgeons.
Rick
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

blantyre wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 pm That’s an excellent video. Thanks for posting. It seems as if the safety issues would make that establishment uninsurable these days. Open gas flames to heat curling tongs, powered belts right next to customer’s hair and the employee wearing a tie, heaven knows what toxic chemicals were in those aftershaves. A veritable litany of potential negligence. With Covid getting a trim these days is similar to going in for minor surgery - temperature check, health history and a mask. The barber wears scrubs. Going back to there roots as surgeons.
I bet those dead animals wouldn't fly today either. :wink:
Olle
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Indeed. Badgers are the only dead animals allowed in a barber shop these days. Pretty soon only synthetic ones.
Rick
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I'm happy to be soon receiving this one. it'll be interesting to see the supposed similarity with Taylor's version.

Olle
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Congratulations! Gordon would have been very jealous. I imagine the scent will have muted a great deal since it's probably a minimum of 44 years old (assuming Geo. Thomas sold the stuff right up until they closed in 1977).

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

maybe this post will draw him back :D :D :D

nice to see you out and about

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oh, I'm still under house arrest!

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 am Congratulations! Gordon would have been very jealous. I imagine the scent will have muted a great deal since it's probably a minimum of 44 years old (assuming Geo. Thomas sold the stuff right up until they closed in 1977).

C.
Thank you! Unfortunately, this isn't the original Royal Yacht from the 70s, but rather the reissue from the 90s (I believe). Earlier in this thread Bargepole explained that it was a company named Eximious that made this version and the formula was according to Gordon later picked up by Taylor's. I'm going to report back here when I've tried it!
Olle