Cripped from Basenotes about Penhaligon new releases

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, The case of the No 74 Lime is a bit murky. It is, of course, the Royal Yacht Lime, and their has been no change when it morphed into a Taylor's bottle. But exactly how far back the Limes goes as a Royal Yacht fragrance is uncertain. Bargepole says that he does not remember it being in the Geo. Thomas's shop ( in Duke Street until around 1972 ), but that doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't there.
Regards,
Gordon
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Here's my recollection: Royal Yacht was solely available from Thomas's in Duke Street. They closed in, as I recall, the late 1970s or poss. early 80s.

Royal Yacht was hair stuff, with or without oil according to choice. (Of course hair stuff without oil is just perfume, but Thomas's customers' -- admirals and the like -- balls would fall off if anyone said that.) These little private firms didn't go in for what the fragrance industry calls "flankers" -- Sarge for Men, Sarge Sport, Sarge Extreme, Sarge Noir etc. Sarge was just Sarge; and so it was with Royal Yacht.

When Thomas's gave up the lease and the shop turned over to some oh so my dear precious "art" "gallery" their stuff vanished. News of the impending closure drew panic-stricken seadogs from the Seven Seas to stock up on the Yacht for fear that if they didn't smell of it, their crews and their wives wouldn't recognise them.

That was that.

Then a company called Eximious started flogging the stuff -- or a replica thereof -- in a tarted-up neo-Edwardian-fol-de-rol bottle with "The Scent of Edwardian England" or some such nonsense on it. And that, as I recall, was when the flankers came in. Royal Yacht Lime? Bah. It's either Royal Yacht or it's Lime what? Eh? What? Like talking about a caravelle sloop cutter. Balderdash.

Hope that helps but of course it doesn't. All I'd say is, whatever your lime, if it's British BUY NOW because the EU -- abiite antique draco [1] -- have got it in for citrus oils next.

[1] For the few non-exorcists among us, that's the opening of the old Roman rite of exorcism. "Begone, ancient dragon, to the regions of hell..." etc etc.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, well...( harrumph! ) I guess that settles that, Royal Yacht and all, what? Still.....I wonder....Geo Thomas's was another of these discreetly spiffy, elite London barber shops and I can't help suspecting that they had a few more scents ( in the form of hair lotions or aftershaves at least ) beyond only the Royal Yacht. God knows Trumpers and T&H did. That they had their own lime aftershave stuff doesn't seem that unlikely. Hell, all their competition did. Wouldn't have been called 'Royal Yacht' of course, because that was a particular and well known scent. Just, 'Geo. Thomas's Limes Aftershave', or some such. Okay, according to the little history pamphlet included with bottles of Royal Yacht in the '90s, the shop at 11 Duke Street closed in 1977.

Michael, you sound in dead earnest about this citrus thing. Are you saying that they're getting ready to ban ALL citrus oils in scents? That would render unmakeable a good percentage of the high end classic English colognes; Penhaligon's Blenheim and Douro, many of the D R Harris's classics and God knows how many more. That's absurd. I hadn't planned on getting any more cologne for at least the next two years, but if this is really, REALLY going to happen I may need to re-think that.
Regards,
Gordon
Hickspaul17

Re: Cripped from Basenotes about Penhaligon new releases

Post by Hickspaul17 »

Hi guys i recently aquired a bottle of royal yacht the yellow edwardian limes bottle am i right in believing these are quite rare and hard to come by its still in the original packaging and even has the little card inside explaining about there products
Attachments
IMG-20211029-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20211029-WA0004.jpeg (905.53 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
Hickspaul17

Post by Hickspaul17 »

IMG-20211029-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20211029-WA0006.jpeg (1019.64 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Hickspaul17 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:27 am Hi guys i recently aquired a bottle of royal yacht the yellow edwardian limes bottle am i right in believing these are quite rare and hard to come by its still in the original packaging and even has the little card inside explaining about there products
Attachments
IMG-20211029-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20211029-WA0002.jpeg (969.23 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
IMG-20211029-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20211029-WA0000.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4877 times
Hickspaul17

Post by Hickspaul17 »

20211101_102541.jpg
20211101_102541.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 4876 times
Hickspaul17 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:27 am Hi guys i recently aquired a bottle of royal yacht the yellow edwardian limes bottle am i right in believing these are quite rare and hard to come by its still in the original packaging and even has the little card inside explaining about there products
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Congratulations on this very fine purchase, that's a real rarity you have there! I own the floral-scented, green coloured cologne myself and they both share that same bottle design, save for the colours.
They were both produced and marketed by the same company that "revived" the old barber/perfume.G Thomas back in the 80s/90s; I think.
Our bottles are probably from that same era. My green cologne bottle smells fantastic anyhow – it's a very old school gentleman floral type cologne – I've never had any luck trying to find the yellow (lime) version on the web but I reckon that your cologne is just as superb as my one is. Anyway--- if you ever, for some bizarre reason, would get weary of the cologne and want to get rid of it -- then I'll happily buy it from you! But I do know you won't such a thing but I felt like I just had to ask one time anyway! :wink:

EDIT: You can find some information on Thomas here at SMF. I uploaded a video from their old barbershop a while back. You can also search for "Geo Thomas", "G Thomas" and "duke street".
Olle
Hickspaul17

Post by Hickspaul17 »

Hi bud ,
Thanks for the reply i did kind of think it was rare because i googled the name and i only got one hit and that was of the green bottle and packaging ..i basically brought a bottle of tobs no74 a few weeks prior for myself and a bit of a treat for my dads birthday he loves it and so do i my dads in his 70s so he really appreciates his new DE razor and of course his no 74 lol .
Then i was on my way to the pub in the town where i live and i happened to walk past a help the aged charity shop and it was in there i saw the yellow box in the window and i actually thought it was no 74 i didnt actually realise how special it was ,it was way cheaper than tobs prices anyway and its a full bottle also but it does smell exactly the same as no 74 in all honesty .
I collect aftershaves and colognes brushes and vintage cutthroats so the bottle has taken pride of place on there now im affraid my friend but if do ever decide iv had enough of spending a small fortune on grooming products and colognes you will be the first person to get a hit on here i love the style of if you dont ask you dont get buddy 😉thanks for the info you provided its much appreciated and nice to see other peoples passions for the finer things in life.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Congratulations and nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I used Taylor's Lemon and Lime cream followed by No.74 Victorian Limes last night in honour of this thread. Still one of my favourites, although (and I never expected to say this) the Original might be edging out the Limes. The combination of Eucris hair-dressing well shaken and applied as an aftershave moisturiser (traditionally regarded as the same scent as Ajaccio Violets, Trumper nowadays describe it as lily-scented. Either way, no relation to the pretty horrid Eucris aftershave,) followed by No.74 Original is the quintessential old-man scent. Seems to fit the bill more and more accurately lately.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I have to admit, I broke out the Victorian Limes today myself. It's nice how someone's thread can inspire you.

Chris