Dominica Bay Rum Revisited

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
EL Alamein

Dominica Bay Rum Revisited

Post by EL Alamein »

Afternoon All, with the disappearance of Dominica Bay Rum a few years ago I have hoped for the odd bottle or so to appear on the bay to grab and compare. Some have come and gone without my interest being aroused. I passed for reasons of quality - most were not sealed from the original purveyor.

Well last week one showed up sealed. It was of the A.C. Shillingford variety - the importer before C.A. Trading. No matter, I snagged it with the buy it now option at an exorbitant price. I was curious to test my memory with regards to it's scent.

It arrived yesterday. It was completely sealed and full (maybe a small amount had evaporated through the cork seal but not much). Seal broken and cork was still intact until I attempted to pull it out. Snap it went. Trying to corkscrew out what remained was a lost cause as well as the cork splashed into the bay rum as soon as I touched it with the corkscrew. No matter, with all the wine being drank in this house (my wife mind you, as I gave up all alcohol when the doctors put me on beta blockers for blood pressure) there is always an unused cork available to restop a bottle in such a circumstance.

The scent that wafted out of the bottle was familiar, just as I remembered it - very clean and crisp. I had to compare it to the Grand Bay that I use now and they are not very different at all. You can definitely tell them apart but they are very similar with perhaps the Grand Bay being a bit more low key. The Dominica was definitely stronger. I actually prefer the Grand Bay when it comes down to it. I'll definitely use up the Dominica but I appreciated the chance to revisit an old favorite.

Chris
pausted

Re: Dominica Bay Rum Revisited

Post by pausted »

Thanks for the post, Chris. I ran out of Dominica a long time ago. I’ve thought about trying the Grand Bay but never seem to get around to it. Your post reminded me that I need to get some. Thanks again.
Best regards,

Basil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Still have some plain and some lime, and to my nose they are definitely nicer than the replacement Grand Bay. Sadly all my scents are still somewhere in an unpacked box!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Oddly enough I work for a small family owned essential oil company in New Zealand, we have a few cases on the A.C Shillingwood & Co Dominica Bay Rum. Beautiful bottle with a classic label. we sell it online at zurma.co.nz but can't ship it overseas without paying a rediculous amount on freight because they are classified as a Dangerous Good. But you know anyone coming to NZ definietly get them to bring a few bottles home.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome to SMF, Rowan!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace