Chanel line

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Chanel line

Post by Sam »

I find myself gravitating to Chanel colognes. Have had their Coromandel and the Antaeus for years. I do not find Antaeus now to be as animalistic as it was back in the day. More floral than anything now. Coromandel can be described as white chocolate and patchouli. Each projects and lasts very well.

I had dallied with the Allure Homme line. The Allure Homme Sport Cologne was a fresh orange but its projection was great for an hour and longevity for about three to four. Better than Acqua di Parma Colonia. Tried the Eau Extreme but too much vanilla and for summer and high humidity, well, not to my liking. I wanted to like the Edition Blanche, bought a bottle blind (you can not find it in any stores, but maybe high end ones that we do not have in Memphis like Neiman Marcus) and it did not project and last. A bit like a lemon cream pie if you will. Then someone at Basenotes sent me a small sample of the Edition Blanche in cologne concentree strength, which they do not make. Game changer, it projected for two, then became a skin scent and I can smell it the next morning on the back of my hand. So I bought a bottle from a guy on Basenotes, the eau de parfum, and it behaves the same. Happy camper I am now.

At some suggestions, I ordered Pour Monsieur from Chanel directly as you can not get it in stores. I was worried it would be too much lavendar and have that "barbershop" association. Well, the top note immediately upon application gives off a lavendar bath powder vibe. But this stuff rocks. Projects madly for three hours and lasts forever. It gets better as it goes on, less of a powder association and you get citrus and not lavendar. Wife likes it

So now I am intrigued by Egoiste. Also not in Macys or Dillards but sometimes Nordstroms has it. I got this from the basenote guy in cologne concentree form, that is also not made. But unlike the Allure Homme Edition Blanche, when they resold it as an eau de parfum, people at basenotes say they changed Egoiste up a bit. The version I got is heavy on a cinnamon note. Very much so, it is very 'in your face". This stuff you can not scrub off. But I cinnamon vanilla scent for colder weather sounds great and I need to try the eau de parfum stuff.

I have tried Dior stuff and well, back in the day, I loved Eau Sauvage. We are talking 1980 or so and it had very much of a lemon and summer thing. I would get it and the aftershave balm. I never got lavendar from it and it was a better lemon than Drakkar Noir. I would get Paco Rabanne Pour Homme as it was more of a lime-vetiver things going on. The new Eau Savauge does not last on me and is heavy on the lavendar. The Homme Sport is nice but I get no citrus. The DIor Homme Cologne is great, it is lemon and a white floral. Kinda reminds you of Acqua di Parma Essenza. But it has poor perfomance. Guerlain has some nice ones and I also wore some of those in 1979-1982 back when they had fewer scents I dont think Habit Rouge was out then. They used to be in the nicer mens stores locally but not now. L'Eau Boisee is good but fleeting

I have tried the Montales and Manceras and they have moved into Bloomingdales and Nordstroms I think, as I see them when I go to Lenox Mall in Atlanta. Same with Byredo.

But I am finding that I make my way back to Chanel and for what you get, the price point is less than niche but the ingredients and performance are up there with niche.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Chanel line

Post by TRBeck »

I agree with you about the overall quality of Chanel fragrances, Sam.

Although it is maligned in some circles, I have become enamored of Bleu de Chanel over the past few years. The EDT is a regular in my rotation. I think the EDP would probably suit most gents here more as it has more of the sandalwood base that sets Chanel apart in quality.

I have nothing against any of the Chanels I've encountered, though, and I really enjoy both Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste, although the latter leans heavily toward fresh fougere territory and oddly smells more dated now than the former. Egoiste is cinnamon-heavy, it's true, but it still has a nice, rich version of the house sandalwood accord perfected during Jacques Polge's time as the house perfumer. Just not a daily wearer for me.

Since you also mentioned Guerlain, the three I still quite like from them are Heritage (the current EDT is lovely), Vetiver (simply a classic), and Homme (not L'Homme Ideal). The EDP version of Homme is quite good, a bit less vetiver than L'Eau Boisee but an absolutely beautiful patchouli note in the base that smooths out the lime opening.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Chanel line

Post by Sam »

I went online and ordered a backup bottle of Antaeus and then decided to get Egoiste. And they sent me a sample of Bleu de Chanel, either the parfum or the edp.

I have five Chanels, with those two and Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Pour Monsieur and Coromandel. As to the PM, i do not get citrus up front or if I do, it is indistinguishable. It could be orange or it could be lemon, who knows. I get a lot of what I call a lavendar blast, but by hour three, I get some nice melange and it holds on for hours. I mean, I can sniff the back of my hand the next morning, a full 22 or so hours after applying it, and I can smell it.