Taylor's Sandalwood

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
EL Alamein

Taylor's Sandalwood

Post by EL Alamein »

Evening All,

I ran out of my Taylor's sandalwood cologne from many years ago. I put it on my Christmas list last year and the Mrs. was happy to gift it to me.

What the Sam Hill happened to this scent?!?!? It smells nothing like it used to! I got a tub of their Sandalwood shaving cream to go with it and it smells identical to the cologne and neither of them smell anything like the intoxicating scent it used to be.

I still have a tiny bit left in my original tub of cream and did a side by side and I really can't believe what has happened they are so different. If I hadn't gotten both the cologne and the cream together and only got the cologne I would have thought I got a bad bottle. But the fact that the two of them smell identical convinces me that this scent has been sundered. It doesn't even smell good anymore.

I am so disappointed. Another great product destroyed.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Taylor's Sandalwood

Post by drmoss_ca »

What a shame. There is something that happens to Taylor's Sandalwood as it ages, or at least, happened to my first bottle. It goes darker in colour and gets to smell more and more like marine varnish as the years go by. When I opened a new bottle I noticed it was lighter in colour and didn't seem so concentrated, yet I was sure it was what my old bottle had smelled like when it was new. The change had happened so slowly that I had barely noticed it until confronted with the new bottle. Just like the frog in the hot water. Was your last bottle very old? Mine was around 14 years old.
Their No.74 Victorian Limes also does something similar as it ages. They should probably be kept in a cool dark place. like a wine cellar!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Chris,

Yes, my bottle was old. I noticed the same thing regarding the scent changing, having a tub of the cream helped me distinguish that. The cream didn't seem to change as It is always kept in a closet in a cool environment. The little cream left smells very fresh and intoxicating.

The wife noticed the difference as she liked the old Sandalwood on me. She said "don't wear this new stuff it doesn't even smell good."

Well, anyway, another one bites the dust.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Maybe put on a windowsill in the sunshine and accelerate the aging process until it become that rich brown mixture of cream sherry and varnish?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, that's bad news. My old tub of Taylor's Sandalwood shaving cream is getting very close to running out so I'm looking forward to enjoying it to the max as long as it lasts. I've not used their cologne.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444