Aftershave as hand sanitizer

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
sgtrecon212

Aftershave as hand sanitizer

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Ok... I hate the smell of alcohol based sanitizer. I believe it works, so I use it, but I'm looking for an alternative.

Do aftershaves like Pinaud Clubman have enough alcohol in them to do any good?
Last edited by sgtrecon212 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Steve,
You would need to know the ratio of alcohol. Most products list ingredients only in descending order of the percent but not the actual percent.

I would suggest buying a very small bottle of essential oil from a health food store in a fragrance that you enjoy and add a couple drops, shake well.

For a cup or 8 oz., start with about 5 drops. Bath and Body Works sells fragranced hand sanitizer but you could probably buy at least 10 times as much unscented for the same price of Target brand.
Sue
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Hand sanitisers need 40% ethanol and you need them to stay in contact with the skin whilst you rub your hands together for about 30 seconds. That's one reason why they come as gels - sufficient liquid to allow 30 seconds of contact whilst evaporating would drip off the sides of your palm (the other reason is to discourage the drinking of the product, though I understand my resourceful countrymen have been consuming the stuff like mad in NHS hospitals).
At best, they will kill the bacteria on your hands. They just move the viruses around a bit, but do not kill them. So they don't help in the case of colds, 'flus or our current problem here, norovirus.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

drmoss_ca wrote:At best, they will kill the bacteria on your hands. They just move the viruses around a bit, but do not kill them. So they don't help in the case of colds, 'flus or our current problem here, norovirus.
Does any practical method help with viruses?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Wear gloves for patient contact!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Since I have no patients, I think I'll wash my hands once in a while. :)
John Rose

Re: Aftershave as hand sanitizer

Post by John Rose »

Seems like a timely topic to resurrect.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nice bump John.....weird times. Several years ago I cut all chemicals from my household. For cleaning I went vinegar/water and pinsesol/water. Its worked. Rumour on the www is that to be safe, one needs a "real" disinfectant....impossible to find. That along with tylenol sinus and bounty paper towels. The world is forever changed

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

In response to the OP question, MSDS is your friend.
See https://www.wbbarber.com/wp-content/upl ... on-SDS.pdf

TLDR?
for "Clubman After Shave Lotion"
  • Composition of Hazardous materials
    Alcohol denat _________ 67.01% (%w/w)
In this article https://www.cbc.ca/news/covid-19-hand-s ... -1.5510163 :
  • The World Health Organization's website has legitimate instructions for making hand sanitizer that recommend using ethanol with a concentration of 96 per cent, or isopropyl alcohol with a 99.8 per cent concentration.

Experts say the best way to kill the COVID 19 virus on your hands is to wash them properly with soap and water. If that's not an option, an effective hand sanitizer should have an alcohol concentration of at least 60 per cent.
:-k So, if you mix a bit of Clubman with commercial sanitizer that has only 60% alcohol, it sounds like it would be improving the product's effectiveness slightly.
It would not take much AS to change the scent anyway.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Don't use mine as sanitizer, it's 22% and not nearly high enough alcohol content. That's partly why it doesn't sting. The CDC is stating 60% is required with no contact time stated.

The information I have for Covid-19 is that it's a DNA strand surrounded by a fat coat to protect it. Porous surfaces degrade the fat coat in 3 hours and as the surface gets less and less porous the life also extends. So anything that rids it of the fat coat allows the DNA strand to degrade. Ordinary soap works fine. After going out I thoroughly wash with Hygenall "LeadOff" which I use because I'm a shooter, but it's also an excellent "germ grabber" since it has a positive charge and binds things with a negative charge to itself. For ordinary everyday hand washing ordinary bar soap suffices. Since the supermarket is out of cart handle wipes I bring along a cloth and a spray bottle of a soapy quaternary disenfectant* and swab it down and continue that to extend the contact time. The wet cloth goes back into a sealed poly bag. I've read that Lysol also works as does a 1:5 dilution of ordinary household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) but who wants to walk around the store reeking of bleach?

*soap can reduce the effectiveness of a quat' disinfectant, but this one was designed to be soapy and still be effective as a quat'. It both removes the fat coating and destroys the DNA strand. Take that evil Wuhan flu!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

ShadowsDad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:05 am I've read that Lysol also works as does a 1:5 dilution of ordinary household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) but who wants to walk around the store reeking of bleach?
Anybody who wants everybody else to keep their distance. :whistle: