Cripped from Basenotes about Penhaligon new releases

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Cripped from Basenotes about Penhaligon new releases

Post by Sam »

Penhaligon's launch first quartet in Anthology fragrance collection

Bertrand Duchafour was in London last Thursday to help launch the new collection from Penhaligon's - Anthology. The four fragrances in the collection are fragrances from the company's archive that had previously been discontinued: Extract of Limes, Eau de Verveine, Night Scented Stock and Gardenia.

The relaunch was overseen by Duchaufour who as well as being in-house perfumer for Penhaligons sister-company L'Artisan Parfumeur has also created fragrances for Comme des garcons, Acqua di Parma and Eau d'Italie.

The anthology will consist of 12 fragrances, all from the archives of the house. The first four are launching this coming June with four more released in 2010, and the final four in 2011.

Here is how Penhaligon's describe the first four fragrances in the Penhaligon's Anthology.

Extract of Limes
Originally created in 1963, Extract of Limes is shattered sherbet and blossom honey. A classic citrus, penetrating and pure, with straight up West Indian lime, lemon oil and neroli. High, clear and instantly uplifting.

Eau de Verveine
Originally created in 1949, Eau de Verveine is a grassy aromatic, with citrus and woods. The scent of an Indian Summer, shimmering heat haze, soft metallics, crumbled herbs, spices, musk and vanilla. In the distance echoes the evocative promise of rain.

Gardenia
A soliflore, originally created in 1976, Gardenia is a translucent watercolour in soft washes of tuberose, jasmine, gardenia, ylang-ylang, spice and vanilla. A radiant magnolia-tinted portrait of one of nature’s most sensual blooms.

Night Scented Stock
A soliflore, originally created in 1976, Night Scented Stock is an edgy unfolding of pungent floral enchantment, deep with clove, heliotrope, violet, vanilla, musk and tonka bean. Hazy with arresting uncommon beauty.

All four scents are available from Penhaligon's stores and the website from June at a cost of £95 for 100 ml.

Duchafour has also created a brand new feminine fragrance for the company which debuts in September.end of article
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Hmmm.....so, apparently they are bringing back the 'Classics' line plus some of the discontinued ladies' scents. I certainly hope they haven't messed with them, as their Lavender Water was the best I've ever tried ( not that I could afford it at their current prices, you understand ). The date they give for their Limes cologne is a bit surprising. On the one hand 1963 does coincide with the period during which men's lime colognes were becoming very popular, but it's also a very nebulous time in Penhaligon's history. The firm was slowly fading away, and by the end of the '60s, when Mr. Bargepole first made their acquintance, 'Penhaligon's' consisted of Hammam Bouquet extract that could only be bought at the T&H shop in Old Bond Street.
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

About frelling time.

Sam, thanks for this.
Regards,
Jani
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I live with a gardenia freak. At present, Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion is winning the race. Would the Penhaligon scent be worth a purchase - Gordon? Michael?
Glad to see my stock of LP #9 isn't going to be devalued (Actually, I have not opened or sniffed it, but bought it for a friend in Toronto to whom I dole it out a bottle each year or so).

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Who can say? The 'gardenia freak' herself would have to ultimatly make that call. Personally, I've always thought highly of the Penhaligon's ladies' scents, at least the older ones. I know that Michael is pretty high on the Annick Goutal line, although it never did that much for me. Perhaps after these scents are reintroduced you will be able to scrounge up a sample for your wife to check out.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, speaking of Goutal, anybody got comments on Nuits d' Hadrien? WIll be getting this Wednesday in a trade.
diggity

Post by diggity »

Well this is exciting...damn pricey, but exciting. Hopefully they will re-introduce some shave products too.
Nathan
rgc

Post by rgc »

Good. Now I won't have to drive down to Tampa and beg Gordon to sell me his Extract of Limes.

rgc
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Nuits d'Hadrien is excellent. In fact I think it is the best of the entire current collection of AG's.

And Gordon I believe Extrait of Limes by Penhaligons was originally launched in the late 1800's and "relaunched" in the early 60's. A chronology is here:
http://www.perfumeintelligence.co.uk/li ... enhali.htm though I cannot vouch for accuracy.

Chris
drumana

Post by drumana »

hope it's worth the price tag :roll:
-Andrew-
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, No, that list has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. They even got the date for English Fern wrong. Fact is, we don't know that much. Some of William Penhaligon's formulas and day books survived, and Shirley Brody and assistant worked off of those when Sheila Pickles resusitated the firm. But, of course, they didn't chose to revive many products, so who, still living, knows for sure what all was available in Wm. Penhaligon's shops during his life time. We know that Trumper has been offering their Lime A/S since, at least, before WWII, but how long before that I'm not certain. T&H Lime Cologne has it's roots in a scent called 'Imperial Bouquet' first offered in the late 1800s, but it's been altered more than once since then, most recently in the 1980s. So, I think that Penhaligon's own date of 1963 is as close as we're going to get. I'm not sure when Ivan Bersch took over Penhaligon's exactly. Perhaps when he did he thought a Lime cologne would be a good idea seeing as how they were becoming quite popular at that time. Penhaligon's Limes always reminded me a bit of the T&H Lime, and Truefitt's is where the last of the pre-Pickles Penhaligon scent wound up ( Bersch got Penhaligons when he bought T&H ). Sooo....there we are ( cough ).
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm always up for a Lime, aftershave or cologne.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Oh, it's pretty nice, I still have a bit around. Their prices have gotten brutal though, so I'm just glad that Taylors No 74 is available ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Dale

Post by Dale »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, No, that list has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. They even got the date for English Fern wrong. Fact is, we don't know that much. Some of William Penhaligon's formulas and day books survived, and Shirley Brody and assistant worked off of those when Sheila Pickles resusitated the firm. But, of course, they didn't chose to revive many products, so who, still living, knows for sure what all was available in Wm. Penhaligon's shops during his life time. We know that Trumper has been offering their Lime A/S since, at least, before WWII, but how long before that I'm not certain. T&H Lime Cologne has it's roots in a scent called 'Imperial Bouquet' first offered in the late 1800s, but it's been altered more than once since then, most recently in the 1980s. So, I think that Penhaligon's own date of 1963 is as close as we're going to get. I'm not sure when Ivan Bersch took over Penhaligon's exactly. Perhaps when he did he thought a Lime cologne would be a good idea seeing as how they were becoming quite popular at that time. Penhaligon's Limes always reminded me a bit of the T&H Lime, and Truefitt's is where the last of the pre-Pickles Penhaligon scent wound up ( Bersch got Penhaligons when he bought T&H ). Sooo....there we are ( cough ).
Regards,
Gordon
I just read this to my wife and she looked at me with this quizzical, amazed/bewildered look and said, "Wow! Gordon is amazing." lol
Regards,
Dale
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Re the gardenia question, the Goutal is (or was; they've reworked Sables so god knows what's next) the best by far, I'd say. Impossible to tell what the Penhaligon will be like from that drivelling nonsense about watercolour wash... ylang ylang... blah... my Aunt Fanny nonsense. We'll just have to smell the juice.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Stitch306

Post by Stitch306 »

Aztecface wrote:About frelling time.
So you're a Farscape fan then ;D
Chris

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Chris, very much so. I love Farscape.
Regards,
Jani
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

bernards66 wrote:Squire, Oh, it's pretty nice, I still have a bit around. Their prices have gotten brutal though, so I'm just glad that Taylors No 74 is available ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Hey guys, I don't mean to get off topic here, but I'm curious as to the scent of the Taylors 74. Has it ever been reformulated or did they leave it alone?
I've been wanting to try some, just never got around to it yet.
Regards,
David
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

This is certainly very interesting, and I will be looking forward to sampling these fragrances at the Chester store.
diggity

Post by diggity »

I just got samples in today of all four. The L'eau de Verveine is just simply amazing. I will try the Limes tomorrow.
Nathan